roof stuck open

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

yoyomiyagi

roof stuck open

Post by yoyomiyagi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:03 am

Hi guys. Yet another problem..Had to abandon my bongo because we could not get the roof to close (with parking break on and on P). Anyone had a tempermental roof?
kit

Post by kit » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:14 am

Hi yoyomiyagi,
:idea: Have you first pressed the LOCK button inside the roof :?:
yoyomiyagi

Post by yoyomiyagi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks. Yes I've followed all of the directions in the manual. It happened before-it refused to open for a while. I will try removing the battery negative lead before trying it again just incase the lock circuit can be reset and then just roll it down manually. Does anyone know if the ropes are really necessary if it's just an electrical problem?

Is this a common problem? Has anyone actually had roof problem and know the roof circuitry? Is there just one fuse (12)?
tigs
Tribal Elder

Post by tigs » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Cant elp I'm afraid, hope you get it sorted soon
etihsbog

Post by etihsbog » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:47 pm

There are two fuses in the aft circuit according to the manual a 30Amp and a 15Amp, just going out the door to watch the football will check later, good luck.
madmile
Supreme Being

Post by madmile » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:01 pm

On the basis you will have to take the motors off to lower the roof manually, then I would suggest having a look at them anyway. Each side has a motor under a plastic clip on cover - you need a 6mm allen key to remove the motor. My roof stuck up a while back - having taken the motors off and put power to them they worked, so I bolted them back in place and can only think it was a loose earth (there is an earth on each motor I think. Worth checking and only a 15 minute job with a small set of step ladders.
vic swan

Post by vic swan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:49 pm

I had this problem and in my case the simple solution was muck in the switch beneath the handbreak. Five minute job to take off the consul and tease the fluff out. Hope your problem is solved as easily. :D
yoyomiyagi

Post by yoyomiyagi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! Will check all of the above and then manually lower the roof.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Luckily ive never had a problem with the roof (touchwood) but when i was buying my bongo various dealers said that if i ever had a problem with the operation then check the connection near the handbrake as mentioned in previous post, its usually that, nine times out of ten.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
yoyomiyagi

Post by yoyomiyagi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm

OK thanks for all the advice guys. Went back to Kirkaldy to fix and pick up my bongo and manage to fix the problem in 2 minutes! Duh.. OK did two things: tightend up the switch under the handbrake and (and this is the thing that worked) disconected the negative lead to both batteried and then reconected.
:idea:

One thing I had forgotten to mention is that the roof alarm was permanently on when the ignition was switched on when the roof was stuck. This happened as of when I had to drive with the roof up (re-parking).

So if anyone ever needs to reset the roof security system, kill the power :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Glad you are back in action without serious cost yoyomiyagi - happy motoring 8)
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:58 pm

I don't think there is any roof security system yoyowhatsit - the reason your alarm was still bleeping was probably cos the roof wasn't fully up enough to trip the switch.
This sometimes happens if the gas struts are needing replaced OR there's a roofbox/roofbars on OR the struts are sticky.......a wipe with a WD40 rag sometimes helps or to raise the roof with the alternator running to give the motors some more voltage.
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
yoyomiyagi

Post by yoyomiyagi » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:46 pm

well dandy it worked so some basic IC was obviously reset.

Return to “Techie Stuff”