Fuel and temp gauge

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bazzog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fuel and temp gauge

Post by bazzog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:09 pm

Hi, I've replaced the combination meter, (fuel and temp gauge) the temp gauge is working fine but the fuel needle just slowly dropped to empty and stayed there , I've filled the tank to full
Is there something else I have to do ?
TIA
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel and temp gauge

Post by g8dhe » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:29 pm

The fuel meter has to be powered to work, the needle will only move whilst power is applied, it is also very heavily damped. You don't say which engine you have there is a common fault on the diesel vans where the return earth on the tank corrodes, the tank itself needs a new earth strap to be added in this situation otherwise the meter will just show empty. The normal method is to pop underneath and around the tank is a lip with suitable holes for a short length of wire to be bolted on and then run to a similar hole in the vehicle chassis nearby.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
bazzog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bazzog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 pm

Sorry it's a diesel, the previous gauge worked fine until I foolishly tried removing the needles hence the need to replace
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am

Well if it was working directly beforehand and stopped after you changed, why not change it back if the previous one was working? What was the reason for changing in the first place ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
bazzog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bazzog » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:41 am

g8dhe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:43 am Well if it was working directly beforehand and stopped after you changed, why not change it back if the previous one was working? What was the reason for changing in the first place ?
It was because I had removed the needles not realising they don't go back on
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:05 pm

Well it might be worth while using a meter to check that you are getting a signal from the sensor in the tank to the back of the meter.
As I recall some of the meters have a fine wire from the screw connection to the movement itself which can be snapped if the screws on the rear cause the mounting pillar to rotate, not sure if this applies to the fuel meter however, its been a while since I played with the dashboard instruments.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
bazzog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bazzog » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:15 am

g8dhe wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:05 pm Well it might be worth while using a meter to check that you are getting a signal from the sensor in the tank to the back of the meter.
As I recall some of the meters have a fine wire from the screw connection to the movement itself which can be snapped if the screws on the rear cause the mounting pillar to rotate, not sure if this applies to the fuel meter however, its been a while since I played with the dashboard instruments.
Thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”