Rust - is this the end of the road?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rosss
Bongonaut

Rust - is this the end of the road?

Post by rosss » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:17 pm

recently took my beloved bongo in for an MOT and got a serious rust diagnosis... two years ago I spent £900 on the MOT - mainly rust - and now they're quoting me £2,800 to get it through.
(though that does included some other bits and pieces - steering rack etc - which has been leaky for years - usual MOT garage just says keep topping it up)
- so
does anybody think this is worth pursuing... finding a cheaper rust quote... a garage that's not bothered about replacing the steering rack etc... or is is this it for this beast?
- MOT diagnosis here : -
Repair immediately (major defects):
Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Rear Stop lamp(s) lens defective such that the emitted light is adversely affected (4.3.1 (b) (ii))
Rear fog lamp not working (4.5.1 (a) (ii))
Power steering component leaking steering rack (2.1.5 (a))
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outer sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced rear crossmember (6.1.1 (c) (i))
Nearside Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength chassis (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength sill end (5.3.6 (a) (i))
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength outrigger (5.3.6 (a) (i))
thanks for your thoughts!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rust - is this the end of the road?

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:28 pm

You will find that the costs will vary from garage to garage, well worth getting quotes from other garages for the repair. I've found down here in the Sussex that a 2:1 price range can easily apply!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Rust - is this the end of the road?

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:34 am

It depends whereabouts you are in the country and how much you love your Bongo. Your list doesn't sound that bad, have a look through THIS and you'll see that a lot can be done with an angle-grinder and a good bit of sheet-metalworking...

Return to “Techie Stuff”