Motorcycle Emptyness

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Bongolian
Junior Bongonaut

Motorcycle Emptyness

Post by Bongolian » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:00 am

Hey folks, anyone out there carried a motorsickle in the back of their Bongo.?
I have used some of my previous vehicles to do so but wondered if anyone had any tips / tricks for carrying a motorcycle in a Bongo.?
Obviously smaller motorbikes are easiest, but what type have you carried successfully.? What about ramps.?
I was thinking of getting a bike small enough to get inside without issue, yet still able to carry a rider and pillion once at a destination.
I’ve had dirt bikes in the back of a small Honda, and an Enfield in a VW Caddy, who’s carried what.?
(Or is it simpler to get a rack & take a pushbike.?)
ever after.
Bongolier

Re: Motorcycle Emptyness

Post by ever after. » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:40 pm

Will fit a full size bike with rear bench removed or a smaller monkey bike/grom size bike as is.

Would recommend mounting a chock to a sheet of plywood if you're planning on carrying a full size bike as it will be much more secure and also make loading faster and easier
Attachments
20220603_101800.jpg
PXL_20230601_173525473.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20230602_072144896.jpg
wwaveydave
Bongonaut

Post by wwaveydave » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:21 am

+1 retro points for the thread title. :D
Bongolian
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongolian » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:55 am

That is Fab.. =D>

I’ve been meaning to measure the rear door opening but your pics clearly show it’s big enough.
Is it two different bikes in those photos.? (Can’t tell on my small screen).
Did you need to do anything to the bike other than remove / fold down the mirrors.?
I had a Chrysler Voyager some years back, while there was space inside, the rear opening height was restrictive to the point when I loaded my DT175MX inside, I did so via the side door (plus I removed the mirrors & dropped the bars).

I’ve a 650 Vstrom which would be a pain I bet so may look for something easier to load, quite fancy a classic looking Guzzi V7 (any excuse for another bike.. N+1 formula eh!).
My brother has an Enfield Interceptor which with mirrors removed, fitted easily in the back of his VW Caddy.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:34 pm

Yea that's two different bikes in the pictures. The small one is a Benelli tnt 125 - basically the size of a new monkey bike.

You might struggle a bit on height depending on what kind of bike you want to put in there. A V-Strom would be a fairly tall bike so I'm not sure you'd get away with that but the other bikes you mentioned would probably fit in there without too much trouble.

Return to “Bongo Chat”