Bubbling funnel when bleeding

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RickyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bubbling funnel when bleeding

Post by RickyBongo » Thu May 25, 2023 8:20 pm

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. Unfortunately, I find myself in a bit of a predicament with my Bongo, as I'm experiencing some bleeding and coolant issues. I'm reaching out to this forum in the hopes that someone can provide some much-needed assistance. Recently, I replaced my radiator. However, I've encountered difficulties when attempting to replace the Bongo's coolant. I have followed the information I have found on the YouTube videos and this forum, and while I've come across some helpful information, I'm still struggling to resolve the problem.

Despite meticulously following the steps outlined in a particularly informative YouTube video, I'm encountering a rather aggressive bubbling issue originating from the funnel end of the outlet pipe. The initial part of the process, where I refill the coolant into the radiator and expansion tank before see-sawing to release any air bubbles, goes smoothly. However, as soon as I move on to the second stage of turning on the engine, I'm faced with intense bubbling that differs significantly from what I observed in the YouTube videos. Despite my best efforts to troubleshoot, including squeezing the pipes and trying various methods, I haven't been able to get the bottom pipe on the radiator to heat up, preventing the thermostat from opening.

Today, I'm reaching out to the community here to see if anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any advice to offer. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might be able to provide insights on how to move forward. In my search, I came across a helpful thread in which Hayden encountered a van with similar symptoms and determined that a blown head gasket was the cause, although this conclusion was not confirmed in the post.

If anyone has encountered a comparable situation or can offer any advice, I would be immensely grateful. I am based in Ashford, Surrey. Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bubbling funnel when bleeding

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 25, 2023 9:14 pm

Welcome aboard!
I assume we're referring to a diesel engine ?
Is there any history prior to this, anything happen, or was it just a leaking radiator alone ?
Continual bubbling could be from a cracked head letting combustion gases into the coolant, did you run for any time/distance with the leaking radiator which might have caused an overheat ?
Its a very common problem like here https://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/vie ... 53#p722853
They appear as below when the head comes off;
Head-cylinderNo3copy-1.jpg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
RickyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickyBongo » Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 am

Hello,

yes it is a diesel engine.

There were prior issues, unfortunately the reason it went to be checked out by the garage was because it was overheating. I'm sure you are right and it is a cracked head!

Before I order a new cylinder head and attempt to replace it, do you have any tips for how I can confirm that it is infact the head that needs replacing, or is it just a case of getting it out and having a look?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 26, 2023 10:53 am

I'm not the expert when it comes to the diesels, but the others will hopefully chime in shortly!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat May 27, 2023 8:46 am

This is from the "Overheating" fact sheet:

"The best way to prove the theory is by taking the vehicle on a 30-minute run and parking it up for the night. When the engine has cooled enough to work on, remove the glowplug rail and all four glowplugs from the cylinders. In the morning, return to the vehicle and place a strip of card some 9” by 20” (20 x 40cm) across the top of the glowplug holes and turn the engine over. the glowplug holes act as vents and anything in the cylinder will be forced up through them rather than down the valves. With any luck you will have three black carbon styles ‘splots’ and a larger watery patch where water has collected in the cylinder overnight. (Note, it is possible to have failure in more than one cylinder."
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
RickyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickyBongo » Sat May 27, 2023 10:59 am

Thank you Ian.

Much appreciated, I have had a good read through the fact sheets which have been super helpful.

Problem is that I cant get the coolant into the system correctly so expect a 30 mins drive will be cut short by the van over heating!
RickyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by RickyBongo » Sat May 27, 2023 11:09 am

I think I am just going to have to admit defeat and get this looked at by the experts. Pretty disappointed as I had hoped to develop my hobbyest mechanical skillset on this awesome van.

Thank you both for your help!
Lemner
Bongonaut

Post by Lemner » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:08 pm

Hello Ricky Bongo,
I have experienced the same issues myself previously and (I hope this isn't the case for you) it was down to either head cracking or gasket failure Sir.
I've had both, not pleasant and quite expensive!
Please read my earlier post-
https://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/vie ... b62f7af7a6

You could be into a world of spend at this stage my brother, but the outcome is way less than a VW transorter! And if i'm being honest they are 10 a penny at at every camper show I've ever been to so who wants to run with the crowd eh? These Mazda's are cool.

Please let me know how you get on.

I welcome any questions you may have.
Clever people the Japanese.

Return to “Techie Stuff”