2.0L Ticking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Nedsbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

2.0L Ticking

Post by Nedsbongo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi all
I recently purchased a 2.0L petrol bongo. Drove it 100miles home without a hiccup. The next day started it up and noticed a ticking noise which subside after a few minutes. The following day the same thing happened except louder, so I parked it up and did an oil and filter change which seem to resolve the issue. Fast forward a week and I was checking the transmission fluid with the engine on and I discovered it still ticks at idle but not loud enough to hear from within the van. I assume this is just hydraulic lifters tick. My question is, I am due to do a 600mile round trip next week, will this be okay or should I investigate further.

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0L Ticking

Post by g8dhe » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:44 pm

Welcome aboard!

It could well be the lifters, had the same problem on my V6, you can get a cleaning liquid https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294711470165?
it might take quite a few attempts of flushing and using various additives, it did eventually clear. It would be a good idea to add some to the oil before your trip. I assume the ticking is dependent on engine speed ? as there is another cause of ticking and that's the emissions system which vents fumes into the large black cannister under the seat, however this a single tick every few seconds/ tens of seconds and not engine speed dependent.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Nedsbongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Nedsbongo » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:36 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes the tick does increase with rpm until it’s drowned out by engine noise. I’ll grab some of that cleaning liquid tomorrow and chuck it in! If it doesn’t clear up the first time will it be okay to still drive? Or shall I change the oil and add an addictive after the trip? Seems to drive perfectly fine, no obvious performance loss.

Cheers
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:35 pm

Personally I would get it checked out by a mechanic , it could be many things causing the tick, it could be a warning tick, there is no sense in guessing and chucking money at it for nothing. The mechanic would use a stethoscope to pin point the tick.

You know the old saying "it no tick it no go". :lol:
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Hello
I formerly had a 20ltr bongo and it did the same thing, ticked especially the following day after a previous long run, or if it had sat for a while. I never experienced any problems as a result of the ticking, and it often cleared once the engine was warm.
I did a full service after hearing it initially and although it did help I still heard it intermittently.

Return to “Techie Stuff”