What have I gone and done?

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Diplomat
Supreme Being

What have I gone and done?

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 pm

After being a Bongo devotee since 2008 and knowing in my heart that there is nothing quite like a Bongo, I have taken on my partner's Honda Stepwagon (W reg). She has been driving it for quite a while and loves the kudos of a big van but only really used it for local run with only herself in it. Recently she had the urge to get a newer one (2004 facelift) and has bought a nice white one with twin sunroofs.

Sadly, my Bongo has to go as I don't have enough driveway space. It failed the MoT nearly two years ago now during covid (Offside ball joint in the wishbone and most of the usual droplinks). Had it not been for the time of year and the health crisis I might have addressed the repairs but instead laid it up on my drive and it is till there. Luckily I have a trusty 2003 Suzuki Ignis for getting about in and I could wish for a better small car.

With a heavy heart I have been emptying the Bongo and commissioning the Stepwagon. First thing I noticed was the interior usable length in the Bongo is nearly a foot longer whilst the exterior length of the Honda is nearly a foot more. The Honda appears slightly narrower inside and out. On the plus side, it is beautifully quiet, doesn't have a complicated cooling system and is front wheel drive. The seats aren't on rails but I have taken out the one just inside the sliding door and created an L shaped chaise longue which would do Jacob Rees-Mogg proud and is wide enough to entertain on comfortably (1 1/2 bums). The floor is flat without those wretched Bongo steps for things to drop down into. The engine and auto transmission live up to all Honda expectations. Sadly missing are the electric blinds and the easy ability to insulate the window frames for camping. No spoiler so very easy to fit my old VW type 25 Bike rack.

I will miss my office desk over the engine between the seats but there are lots more cubby holes than in the Bongo and the front seats have fold down 'captains' arms. The dashboard is great with ha nice flat area under the windscreen (absent on the later versions). gear change comes out of the column, which like the Bongo is correctly configured, unlike eurocrap, for right hand drive. Hand brake takes some getting used to. It is foot operated. Something I am totally opposed to from a safety point of view as it can't be pulled by a passenger in an emergency.

Had very mixed emotions today while getting the Bongo cleared out to sell. Itis such a unique and well thought out wagon apart from the cooling system and those damned step up wells.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: What have I gone and done?

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:20 pm

It will be a very sad day when you wave goodbye to Bongy. :(
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:30 pm

A number of years ago, when our Bongo was off the road, we were lent a Stepwagon as a short term replacement. It was great! In fact I thought at the time that they would become more popular than they became, and attempted to set up an owners club similar to Bongo Fury "Step Inside"!

But it never took off and as a consequence I have been left with a cupboard full of Stepwagon parts and owners manuals. If your interested I can see what's in the cupboard. What's the chassis number of your Stepwagons?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 pm

That is very interesting, Ian. Thank you. Particularly interested in manuals but also, of course. spares. the chassis number begins with RF but I will PM I or email it to you in full.

The newer one is a 2004 facelift version with VTech DOHC engine and no cam belt. I have driven both of them now and getting the feel. The 1998cc petrol engine doesn't have the pull of the 2.5 diesel in the Bongo but is much quieter, partly due to not being under the seats! Gear box nice and goes into overdrive quite easily but doesn't seem to have the reassuring lock up clonk but I assume it must have that feature.

The trade of from going to an engine under the bonnet is that the vehicle is longer with a boxier looking cabin area but exactly the same interior height as the (tin top) Bongo.

An owners club as good as this one is sadly lacking but show me another vehicle which is so lucky apart from a Ford Freda!

The dealer who imports Stepwagons, Alphards and Elgrands locally told me on a number of occasions that the steered clear of Bongos because of the cooling system Achilles heel. I told him about the post 2017 Toyota based Bongos. He hadn't heard about them. Is it six years we have to wait for them to be 'shaken'?

i suspect that My Bongo will live on as the people who bought my VW Type 25 to restore are interested in it. Has rusty arches and suspension wear but never blown a head gasket.

Watch this space.

Frank
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:43 pm

Been driving the Stepwagon since 1st of October and starting to make some comparisons. Also driven the 2004 facelift model which my partner has just bought.

The overall length is about a foot more than the Bongo and the usable space in the back is less. the floor is lower but not level everywhere. No rails for moving the seat positions. I have taken out the flip up seat nearest the sliding door as I will never use it and this gives me space to load shopping etc. The second row of seats mount on pillars which in turn are mounted on flat plates bolted to the floor. The carpet needs lifting to get the pillar plates out. No simply unbolting the seats from the carriages in the rails on the Bongo floor.

The gearbox has a nice feel to it but there isn't the positive lock up that the bongo has so it may be slippy even in overdrive. In general the rev counter shows the engine speed dropping as road speed picks up but there just isn't the feeling of guts that the 2.5 diesel has. I can't see it pulling loads with such confidence. The vehicle seems of lighter construction, which it will need to be with a 1998 cc petrol engine. I can't see it pulling the loads I have sometimes carried in the Bongo.

The Bongo has some very innovative features particularly in the seating. The Honda seats do not fold quite as flat.The overall height of the (tin top)Bongo is more as the prop shaft needs accommodating under the floor.

I am also a steel wheels devotee and that is not an option with the Honda. Needless to say it also comes with one of those awful spare wheels but with a cradle big enough to carry a removed full sized wheel.

My Bongo is still here reminding me of what a great vehicle it has been and i only wish I had the space, time and money to restore it properly. It has been exactly what I wanted since I bought it back in 2008.

Frank

Return to “Bongo Chat”