AirCon Compressor Removal

Moderator: francophile1947

JulesMartin
Bongolier

AirCon Compressor Removal

Post by JulesMartin » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Hi Guys, my compressor on my 97 diesel has seized. I've located a replacement from Bongo Spares and all the numbers match up so I'm ready to go. I was expecting to find information about how to replace the compressor but I've searched all areas and as far as I can tell there is none. Can anybody tell me if there are any precautions to take? It looks to be quite straight forward and as far as I now understand the high pressure is created by the compressor so there should be no sudden rush of gas or oil spillage but I may be wrong and this is a Bongo after all! If anybody knows of a guide or can give me some guidance it would as always be really appreciated. I assume I will need to find somebody to flush and re-gas after the replacement is made as I have read that using the DIY kits is not advisable.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted
JulesMartin
Bongolier

Re: AirCon Compressor Removal

Post by JulesMartin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:00 pm

So, I bit the bullet and went along to the place where I get it MOT'd as they have an A/C machine. the guy there could not be more helpful and explained that even if the system showed empty which mine did it would still have some pressure in it and opening any of the hoses could be dangerous or at the very least dump a load of bright green fluid on the driveway. I explained what I needed to do and he was happy to vacuum out the old fluid, let me drive it home and replace the compressor then take it back to him for him to fill it up. he did a vacuum test on it when I took it back as well to make sure there were no leaks then filled it up. Even though it is not that warm outside now it is nice having the A/C working properly front and back and it's nice to use it as a quick demist. my advice would be to not assume if the A/C is not working there is no pressure in it. take it along to somebody who can check it for you.
As for changing the compressor it's an easy enough task. Slacken off all the belts, remove the alternator, undo one clamp on the back of the compressor holding the two pipes in place, disconnect the single wire on the compressor then undo the four long bolts holding it onto the engine. Installation is the reverse taking care to tension the two A/C belts and the single alternator belts up correctly. Make sure not to switch the A/C on until the fluid has been filled as the fluid is part of the lubrication system for the compressor.
Martin
1996 2.5 TDi Silver pop top unconverted

Return to “London, Kent & Sussex”