New Bongo owner!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

firetrap90210
Apprentice Bongonaut

New Bongo owner!

Post by firetrap90210 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:19 am

Hi all,

We have recently purchased a Bongo, our first camper and are rather excited about it and love it! We were hoping to go away for our first trip away last weekend, however, our Bongo had different ideas,.. front drivers side brake calliper seized on and when I stopped a couple of miles down the road to fill up I could smell there was a problem and that was the end of our first trip.
I now have 2x brake callipers awaiting fitment and also would like to do the following: oil and filter flush and change, air filter, fuel filter, coolant drain flush and re-fill (change thermostat if it looks rough), replace auto transmission oil, and a general check over as well as checking timing belt if its easily accessible.

Is there anything else that is recommended to do for peace of mind, and can anyone recommend a local garage in the Peterborough area that are familiar with Bongo's and do a good job? I have contacted one garage that's local and they say they cant find the info or parts they need so that doesnt fill me with confidence!

thanks in advance for any pointers!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: New Bongo owner!

Post by g8dhe » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:36 pm

Welcome aboard!

Check the state of all your hoses and pipes. 20 year old vehicles tend to need the rubber hoses and steel pipes checked for rust and internal deposits blocking them. If you find that a few of the larger ones are suffering consider getting a replacement hose kit for all the larger ones, see details in the Shop https://bongoland.co.uk/product-categor ... es/page/2/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:45 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard. 8)

If you’re not sure when the cam belt was changed I'd get it done, you don’t say what engine you have but the diesel and 2 ltr are fairly simple, the V6 does involve a good bit of labour.

With any engine it's worth getting the thermostat and water pump done at the same time. :wink:

Edit: I'm sure you are aware of the need to bleed the cooling system on the 2.5ltr motors, but make certain any garage you use are well aware of this. :)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 am

Peterbrough based Franks are highly recommended as Bongo experts, see https://igmaynard.co.uk/blog/2021/02/14 ... -services/
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”