Rubber exhaust hangers

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Alkers
Bongolier

Rubber exhaust hangers

Post by Alkers » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:01 pm

Has anyone had a problem with these failing?

Replaced mine two years ago and have both failed, I suspect once one goes the other.doesnt last long.

Previous set were.feom mazdabongo.com which is extra expensive for me now since Brexit as I'm in Ireland.

Does anyone have a universal or alternative that they've tried, preferably that will last a few years!
gilly99
Bongonaut

Re: Rubber exhaust hangers

Post by gilly99 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Never known those fail. Use my bongo over rough beach roads every year, so regularly check the exhaust. Sure you have not got a pair missing someplace, IE putting extra pressure on your failed pair? or maybe a missing a heatshroud or some alignment problem / sharp edges?.

If the old ones are still somewhat in-tact, suppose you could try find equivalents in a breakers yard.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:42 pm

Your local tyre and exhaust shop usually have loads .
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm

gilly99 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm Never known those fail. Use my bongo over rough beach roads every year, so regularly check the exhaust. Sure you have not got a pair missing someplace, IE putting extra pressure on your failed pair? or maybe a missing a heatshroud or some alignment problem / sharp edges?.

If the old ones are still somewhat in-tact, suppose you could try find equivalents in a breakers yard.
Interesting, the two I've noticed to have failed are at the very rear of the exhaust, one either side of the back box and they appear to be taking the full weight of the exhaust, possibly that is why they've failed so early. How many have you on your van?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:10 pm

Alkers wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm
gilly99 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:00 pm Never known those fail. Use my bongo over rough beach roads every year, so regularly check the exhaust. Sure you have not got a pair missing someplace, IE putting extra pressure on your failed pair? or maybe a missing a heatshroud or some alignment problem / sharp edges?.

Interesting, the two I've noticed to have failed are at the very rear of the exhaust, one either side of the back box and they appear to be taking the full weight of the exhaust, possibly that is why they've failed so early. How many have you on your van?

You should have three of that type on the rear and depending of model another 2/3 of a different type front..
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:48 pm

teenmal wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:10 pm
Alkers wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm

You should have three of that type on the rear and depending of model another 2/3 of a different type front..

Sorry four at rear they should cost about £5 for four.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm

Thanks for that, is it four in two pairs right beside each other?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:43 am

Alkers wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:05 pm Thanks for that, is it four in two pairs right beside each other?
2x on pre silencer
2x on silencer

https://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/ ... no=.html#2
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm

Much appreciated, my two at the very rear were absolutely shot after 6,000km since January 2021.
Both were completely perished and had ripped right through at the bottom and were close to doing so at the top also.
Replaced with much more significant generic ones.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Alkers wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:42 pm Much appreciated, my two at the very rear were absolutely shot after 6,000km since January 2021.
Both were completely perished and had ripped right through at the bottom and were close to doing so at the top also.
Replaced with much more significant generic ones.

Aye they should have lasted longer than that everything being equal, happily the are cheap to replace.

Return to “Techie Stuff”