Lost ignition key and immobiliser fob

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Walrus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Lost ignition key and immobiliser fob

Post by Walrus » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I have lost an ignition key with fob (central locking and immobiliser) for my 1997 Bongo. I have key cover but the AA (who my insurers use) have said it's too old for them to replace so I have to find someone to do it myself. The fob on my spare set is also on its last legs, so I need to replace that, too.
I understand from other threads there are issues with the frequency for the central locking, and I'm not interested in getting a new system installed.
A couple of questions, then:

1. Can anyone recommend someone who can make an ignition key copy for me? I live in Sussex.
2. Is the immobiliser inextricably linked to the central locking, i.e. would I have to replace the whole system to get a new immobiliser fob?
3. Are immobilisers easy enough for a mechanic to deactivate/remove?

Thanks a lot, in advance.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Lost ignition key and immobiliser fob

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:00 pm

Not sure that the Bongo ever had an Immobiliser as an option, Central locking yes, I would guess it might be an aftermarket add on from Japan ?
The original Central locking Fobs are available on eBay, but obviously they use the same frequency, which can sometimes (rare but annoying ) get blocked!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Walrus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Walrus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:49 pm

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for your help. Thankfully the keys turned up - they had been in a friends pocket for 2 months!
Cheers,
Joe
chief
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chief » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:16 pm

Bilbo Baggins had your keys?!

Timpsons would likely be a good bet to get an extra spare made, and if they can't do it, at least they'll tell you first (and with them having their small shops in big supermarkets you don't have to go out of your way to find one).
HS1954
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by HS1954 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:25 am

From what I can tell it's not difficult to have this done. A good mechanic should be able to program the fob and keys to communicate with the car. There are few mentions about it on this forum and on YouTube, but not specifics about the mechanic or place to buy such keys since they're based on the old ones.

Return to “Techie Stuff”