Bongo Windscreen Replacement in Bristol?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

agentdagnamit
Bongonaut

Bongo Windscreen Replacement in Bristol?

Post by agentdagnamit » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:23 am

Hi. I've got an unrepairable chip in my windscreen. I'm currently waiting to hear back from my insurer, but I suspect it might come down to me to find somewhere local that can do the work. I've used ADS previously , but they've just told me they dont have the equipment to carry out replacements.

Someone who will take my van away an deliver it back when the work is done would be ideal!

Thanks
gilly99
Bongonaut

Re: Bongo Windscreen Replacement in Bristol?

Post by gilly99 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:10 am

If no insurance, which would seem like a big faff to me, then you could try online breakers....it's a relatively easy DIY job with a strong piece of cord.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.
agentdagnamit
Bongonaut

Post by agentdagnamit » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:14 am

Thanks, but it wont be a DIY job for me unfortunately!

I'll obviously use my insurance if possible, but I've heard examples of ridiculous quotes for insurance work that go beyond the amount covered by £100s. Also, I need to get this sorted in the next 2 weeks...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:45 pm

Don’t know anything about this company, but they advertise 'any glass for any vehicle'.

http://www.bristolbodyglass.co.uk/
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:03 pm

gilly99 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:10 am If no insurance, which would seem like a big faff to me, then you could try online breakers....it's a relatively easy DIY job with a strong piece of cord.
Hi gilly,could you give details on how to change bongo windscreen with a piece of cord , sounds very interesting thanks.
gilly99
Bongonaut

Post by gilly99 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:24 pm

Done a Ford Transit and a more modern Hyundai i40 using something like the technique shown in this video.
https://youtu.be/f5NEno8ePjo

Exact technique depends on if exchanging the screen (transit) or treating the surround for rust and then just refitting the original (Hyundai) and on the state of the seal / screen and what tools you have to hand. Both were easy jobs, but a two-day faff and I needed a helper on the transit.

Not done a bongo - had my badly cracked windscreen replaced under insurance a few years back in Portugal. From memory 5 day wait and about €250 with zero excess, which I thought was a bargain.at the time!! I saw the screen come out in the repair shop though, and pretty sure the chord technique would work just fine.
4wd diesel, 1999 ex tintop with lowline raising roof
Keep a cool head, black ball game.

Return to “Techie Stuff”