Help - 'New' Bongo - 60mm ground clearance!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ndh
Apprentice Bongonaut

Help - 'New' Bongo - 60mm ground clearance!!

Post by ndh » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:38 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm day 3 of Bongo ownership....

I'm bottoming on speed bumps going at '0.1mph'. Admittedly they are on a track put in by the farmer to bypass his yard (to our houses).

I've got top wheel arch to ground:

Front - 68cm
Rear - 72cm

I reckon lowest point to ground is approx 60mm

Tyres are 225/45 z R18 95 W - what I would call 'low profile'

Can I have any advice on what to do? I guess it is something to do with taking out lowered suspension 'stuff'? Looks like I may have these 'bits' to swap some time.... I have access to ramps and was thinking of doing an underseal myself but don't know heaps about vehicles.

Apart from the grounding I think I'm in love with 'Betty'

TIA

Nigel

2005 V6 Aero LPG Conversion
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Re: Help - 'New' Bongo - 60mm ground clearance!!

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:28 pm

Not good. AFAIC I can get underneath mine without jacks or ramps but have difficulty working under there being 67 and not the thinnest bloke around, I can understand some boy racer in his corsa or clio thinking lowering would be cool but FFS these are mpv's and never meant to be in formula one so lowering would be the last thing on my mind and I'm a speed freak.

I reckon you've got an expensive suspension change to come though you could be in luck if the shocks are a 'make' and recoup some of your losses selling them on. Try a look on mazdabongo.com, pretty sure they have standard shocks for sale on there.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:34 pm

A lot of people seem to like the low slung look, however they don't tend to use the vehicle as a camper going over uneven ground!
if you look at the usual Spares places several of them will do new spring sets and standard (used) setups like https://mazdabongo.com/product/mazda-bo ... 5-onwards/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ndh
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by ndh » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 am

Heya,

Many thanks. 67 is a great age! :D

I've just found another page where someone managed to buy / sell springs and shocks and just about break even.

I've also just measured myself at my 'deepest point (aka stomach'' at around 280mm which is my heaviest ever. So assuming you don't get under the lowest point and adding 'factor of safety' etc. So I reckon it's been dropped by about 100mm - 120mm which is a big change but I'll research out of interest.

Nigel
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:10 pm

I'd rather be 27 lol, 34/5 inch waist, those mm measurements are beyond me.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:09 am

ndh wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 am I've just found another page where someone managed to buy / sell springs and shocks and just about break even.
That may have been me?

Mines used to bottom out all the time on speed bumps when first got it, I never even thought about it may have been lowered (I mean why would anyone lower a Bongo?). The one day i was parked next to another one in a car park & noticed the obvious difference in height. Bought 2 complete front struts + rear springs & shocks from a breakers on ebay then resold the lowering kit back on ebay when i was done which pretty much covered the cost of buying the 'new' suspension.
I Think i had it for about 2 and a half years before i noticed, in that time it was eating ball joints, not had to replace one since rectifying the correct ride height.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”