Coolant for a 2002 2.5 V6 Petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

steerpike
Apprentice Bongonaut

Coolant for a 2002 2.5 V6 Petrol

Post by steerpike » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:13 pm

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times over, but I'm collecting my first ever Bongo tomorrow. It's a 2002 with 55k (miles not km), V6 Petrol. It has a coolant alarm and current owner says its never gone off.

I've read about the dangers of a coolant leak or running dry and have seen a few vids on how to check coolant levels.

I'd just like to know what people might recommend to top up the coolant with should I need to. I'll keep some in the van. Assume the summer/winter mixes will be different?

Thanks in advance
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant for a 2002 2.5 V6 Petrol

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:01 pm

The V6 isn't as bad a the diesel, but they all have similar amounts of piping around the vehicle which can age so its worth getting your garage to check all the rubber and metal pipes.
Red OAT coolant with a 5 year life is normal, but don't mix the different colours unless its clearly marked as being compatible like Prestone Yellow.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Ask the person that you are buying the vehicle from, if they don't know, drain and thoroughly flush the system and renew antifreeze.
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:20 pm

General rule is to use the same colour coolant thats already in there unless you completely flush the system then you can fill it with whatever colour you like. Just open the coolant resorvoir after you get the van and have a look, its either red or green and anyone you buy in whichever colour will be exactly the same chemical makeup but the two different colours will not mix.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:42 pm

If the coolant alarm fitted to your bongo is one of ours, if you refill with red OAT antifreeze it may give you false alarms for a while as red coolant coats the inside of the engine (when new) and so coats the alarm screw in the header tank. If the coolant is blue I would suggest staying with blue…..red is good but bare in mind the above.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”