Fiamma F35 Pro + VW T3 brackets - mushroom roof -any tips?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

agentdagnamit
Bongonaut

Fiamma F35 Pro + VW T3 brackets - mushroom roof -any tips?

Post by agentdagnamit » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:15 pm

Hi. Hopefully this is my last post about Fiamma awnings...

Thanks to people on this site, I've worked out that my best option was a F35 awning with T3 brackets and the kit arrived today.

Offering the brackets up to the Bongo shows they are a pretty good fit, but maybe dont quite sit at the very bottom of the gutters, which I guess isnt ideal. Also, the front bracket either needs grinding down, or it has to overlap the sliding door slightly (which isnt an issue).

Any tips on fitting? I dont have the tools to grind the brackets, so I'm hoping this isnt necessary.

It looks like the plastic pad on the bottom of the front bracket might not make good contact with the van. I dont think bending the bracket is an option, so have people bent their gutter slightly, or padded out the space behind somehow? The rear bracket seems a good fit.

I've seen pictures of the brackets bolted through the body work of Bongos, which is something I might do after a test drive, if the awning moves around or flexes the gutter. Also a good anti-theft precaution.

Thanks
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Fiamma F35 Pro + VW T3 brackets - any tips?

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:56 pm

Same set up as our Bongo. I cut a small corner out of the front bracket as it looked too close to the sliding door. Just used a hack saw. Ours has been on the van for four years, not fallen off :D Or any signs of rust on the gutter. Enjoy working out how the legs unfold and are replaced :D :D
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Fin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Fiamma F35 Pro + VW T3 brackets - mushroom roof -any tips?

Post by Fin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:03 pm

Which length would you recommend?

Thanks. :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:16 pm

Probably not a lot different from the brackets for the F45, they slightly expand the gutter and being on the front surface of the "B" pillar don't interfere with the sliding door, worth considering putting some "boots" on the bottom edge so it doesn't damage the paintwork, if none provided then try winding some self-amalgamating tape around them this will mean the metal is both protected and if the sliding door should be a little proud of the surface (unlikely as otherwise rain would get driven in when driving) will mean it will give a little.
Fiamma_clamps_2.JPG
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Fin
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Fin » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:14 pm

Any chance of a few pics? I’d really like to see how you’ve got the brackets to sit… and how accessible the mushroom roof push up stud is…
Your experience counts as they say!

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:40 pm

This is the brackets for the F45, the attaching bits are much the same as for a F35 (its the top which holds the awning thats different).
As to a Mushroom roof I understood there were problems with these in that they come down into the gutter (not studied them in detail) and hence cause problems for attaching awning mountings ? The two pictures which show the "B" pillar supports best are below. I no longer have that vehicle so can't take any more pictures !
Attachments
DSC_6006.JPG
DSCF3168.JPG
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:45 pm

Ours is an F35 pro 2.70 metre I believe. As far as I can see the brackets which Geoff has used are the same as he ones I used.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”