Heads up on a new Bongo rust weak spot !

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Heads up on a new Bongo rust weak spot !

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:46 am

I was POR15 ing the ends of the front cross member after a wire brush down and spotted some rust on a flat panel directly
underneath the windscreen washer bottle. I had recently changed the motor in the washer bottle 3 months back. I saw that the hole where the moulded
plastic nodule (or knob) on the bottom of the washer bottle goes, the sheet steel there was rusty so when I had the bottle out I POR15'd it from above
under the bonnet.This area is under cover but of course especially in winter overspill from the washer bottle tends to hang around.

This flat panel rusts on both sides above and under ! So when treating the front crossmember (just surface rust MOT advsiory) ends I
saw that it rusts from under as well... rust from both sides of a flat panel = not good. So if you want to avoid a hole
through that piece of flat metal supporting the washer box.. maybe consider a few coatings of your favourite anti rust
paint and top coat.

(Mine is hands down POR15 - but please do be careful, with full eye and arm (long sleeves) hand protection as it is evil paint - but works very well indeed)

Also made note the cross member 1m back from the front needs sorting. In lieu of no ramps etc. I will sort that out with a brush on a stick
in a month or so. It was not an advisory but I will stop it from becoming one. You can just about reach each side with a drill and a wire wool bit
on to get the surface rust off before painting I reckon. That will not be a work of art by any means but getting something over that leading edge should sort it out for years to come.
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Heads up on a new Bongo rust weak spot !

Post by Doone » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:32 pm

That's useful advice. It can also rust on the other side, under the relay boxes.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Heads up on a new Bongo rust weak spot !

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:43 pm

Thanks I will check there as well Doone.

Return to “Bongo Chat”