Name That Pipe

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

robireland
Apprentice Bongonaut

Name That Pipe

Post by robireland » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:08 pm

Hi there folks,
Just purchased my Bongo 1996 2.5 Diesel. It's in pretty good condition and I'm just on my first mission of clean-up and repair.
I've just managed to recondition the aircon and front heater systems.
Next is figuring out why the rear fans won't blow hot air - only cold. There isn't a blanking kit installed, and the pipes aren't leaking.
The fuses are fine, so I believe my next line of enquiry requires taking the panelling from the inside to get to the heater system.
In prepping for this I decided to figure out how to do the coolant bleed, and it seems that I don't have a bleed hose. Can anyone confirm this for me?

and while searching for the bleeding hose I found this one flapping around. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is and where it should be secured to.

Thanks!
Rob Ireland
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Name That Pipe

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:02 pm

You are correct you haven't got a bleed pipe, it should have one really, the fitting in the head should have a little T off to fit a pipe, plenty like this are around, usually having a new head but it may just have been replaced after corrosion, I get round this by fitting an extra T fitting in the turbo pipe and adding a bleed tube.
The dangling pipe looks like the gearbox breather pipe which should be clipped up behind the gear selector underneath, it's to keep the water out when deep diving.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:22 pm

Your rear heater is fed with hot coolant from the engine the same as the front part, however the pipes running to the rear often corrode and quite frequently they are bypassed, look at the feed pipes under the drivers side they should terminate on the air con case just behind the drivers seat make sure they are still present and haven't been bypassed.
Diagram here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
robireland
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by robireland » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:44 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:02 pm You are correct you haven't got a bleed pipe, it should have one really, the fitting in the head should have a little T off to fit a pipe, plenty like this are around, usually having a new head but it may just have been replaced after corrosion, I get round this by fitting an extra T fitting in the turbo pipe and adding a bleed tube.
The dangling pipe looks like the gearbox breather pipe which should be clipped up behind the gear selector underneath, it's to keep the water out when deep diving.
Thanks! I'll go hunting to find somewhere for the breather pipe to fit.

Would this be the correct place to add the T fitting?
Rob Ireland
robireland
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by robireland » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:52 pm

g8dhe wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:22 pm Your rear heater is fed with hot coolant from the engine the same as the front part, however the pipes running to the rear often corrode and quite frequently they are bypassed, look at the feed pipes under the drivers side they should terminate on the air con case just behind the drivers seat make sure they are still present and haven't been bypassed.
Diagram here http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html
Thanks for that Geoff. It's starting to make sense now. It seems that the usual suspect T junction has a rather clunky bypass and 2 pipes to the heater have been sawn.

I'll see if it's at all salvageable as I'd like to keep the air con in the rear.
Rob Ireland
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:55 pm

Yes despite having a conversion I have always kept mine working, set it for Hot come winter and Cold for Summer and then a while before stopping I can turn it on from the front and have a cosy rear half to sit in!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:00 pm

Yes the position ringed in your pic is where I've put the T piece. Be mindful of the heat in this area, metal T piece and good clips are advised.

Return to “Techie Stuff”