Starting and running issues

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Snicole23
Apprentice Bongonaut

Starting and running issues

Post by Snicole23 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:05 pm

Hiya,

We have recently bought a 1997, 2.5 turbo diesel Mazda Bongo and have been having some starting and running issues. Some days it starts fine and other days it struggles to start and can take over a minute to get started properly. The glow plugs have been checked and they're fine so it isn't that. We then took it on a drive and were out for about 20 minutes and as we were coming off of a roundabout onto another part of a dual carriageway, we tried to speed up but lost all throttle power and the van started to come to a slow stop before it started picking up again. After this, every time we slowed down at some traffic lights, the van would start to splutter and felt like it was about to cut out. When we were then a few minutes away from home, we pulled in to let someone drive past and the van spluttered and completely cut out. It then struggled to restart for about 2 minutes. The fuel cap is new so we don't think it is a problem there, the fuel tank has been drained and fuel is completely clear.

Struggling to get to the bottom of it so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Starting and running issues

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 28, 2022 1:05 pm

Welcome aboard!

Have you checked the little banjo filter ? It should be the last filter in the system and is a small metal gauze item as shown below;
Banjo_filter_detail.jpg
They are sometimes removed, but carefully extract and wash it out with petrol is a good option.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Lfarrugia
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Lfarrugia » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:42 pm

Unfortunately i don't have a solution, however i have exactly the same problem, I thought it might be dirt on the injector but an injection mechanic said its unlikely because its too random. He seemed to think it may be a timing issue, when starting the vehicle the system isn't primed properly, how that comes about I'm not sure. I will be trying to speak to a few more mechanics and will keep you posted, in the meantime i will try to clean the filter as suggested in the previous post.
Snicole23
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Snicole23 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm

Hiya,

Sorry I have only just seen this! Sorry to hear that you are having these issues! We ended up getting to the bottom of the issues and it is now running fine - turned out the pump seals were lose and 2 of the injectors didn't work properly! We got the pump re-sealed and all 4 injectors fixed (might as well) and it has been driving fine ever since! I hope you get to the bottom of yours or maybe it is the same issues?

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”