Limp mode unable to diagnose cause

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Onegoldenearth
Apprentice Bongonaut

Limp mode unable to diagnose cause

Post by Onegoldenearth » Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this so hope I'm posting in the right place.

I have a bongo model KH-SGL3. It is an early facelift model with the newer fly by wire fuel pump.

Whilst working under the bonnet on the passengers side I recently heard a vacuum leak on a part of the passenger side turbo actuator vaccum system.

After taking it apart I found a bodge in a broken t piece so fixed it. Started the engine to confirm and noticed the actuator arm was not moving. So went about freeing that up. The next time I took her for a drive I got the yellow flashing light of 'OH NO'.

I Read the codes as;

1114 Air intake-which I believe is the 2 pin temperature sensor next to the handbrake that operates the scavenger fan. Which I have tested with a multi meter in water@20 degrees and 80 degrees and is working fine.

1227 waste gate failed closed over pressure- literally no idea about this one
1228 waste gate failed open under pressure- again no idea.

Assuming these other codes were maybe something to do with the turbo and that actuator rod I have double checked the vacuum tubes and the two electrical connectors on the solenoid and pressure sensors on that side were all connected properly. I removed both EGR valves tested the basic resistance of the switch on one and cleaned them both checking their vacuum pipes when reinstalling. I gave the turbo a better clean without removing via the exhaust outlet and moved the actuator rod repeatedly until it was loose enough to move pretty easily with a finger and thumb.

Cleared the codes by removing positive for a few minutes and took her for a spin.

Same yellow flashing lights. I have repeated reading the codes, clearing and taking for a test drive and almost like clockwork they're back.

I'm running out of ideas and wondered if anyone on here could help shed some light on what maybe causing these fault codes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard
Gandalf The White
Junior Bongonaut

Re: Limp mode unable to diagnose cause

Post by Gandalf The White » Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:28 am

Hi there.

I had a longstanding problems with our 2002 Diesel Bongo with the dreaded going into limp mode and glow plug light flashing once engine was warm and sat in traffic. I cleared all the old fault codes and found the two fault codes being displayed were P0400 and P1228. Spent hours researching this trawling for answers through the forums, FB groups and it's also well detailed on the Wastegate Actuator factsheet in the members section. It's obvious people have spent hours on this, but nothing seems to give a permanent guaranteed long term fix. After much head scratching I discovered Mark at The Bongo Master in Leicestershire, really good, decent, honest bloke, who knows Bongos inside and out, he has great reviews from all his customers. Mark immediately knew what the problem was. It's a known issue with later Bongos, due to combination of a change of turbo design and poorer quality grade diesel in the UK. Mark charges £600 to retrofit an older turbo from an earlier model and changes the relevant ducting and piping to go with it. The van then ran as sweet as a nut, with no loss in performance at all. Just thought I'd share, as it could save somebody alot of time, money and hassle in the future.

https://www.thebongomaster.co.uk/

Return to “Techie Stuff”