Where to put power management system

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Lofty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Where to put power management system

Post by Lofty » Tue May 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi all,

I have recently got my first bongo, and after a few trips we are ready for a leisure battery!

I’m more the capable of fitting everything myself and have done so in previous vans, but I’m wondering where the PMS can be kept, and which one you fine lot would recommend.

Bonnie is unconverted at the moment but will have a side conversion eventually, so for now I need somewhere out of the way and tidy to keep the pms. I’m looking at putting in pms, battery (in engine bay), solar panel and controller.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Where to put power management system

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 24, 2022 4:05 pm

Welcome aboard!

Most people have attached them to or sunk them into the plastic trim around the rear arches, I do recall one just put into its own box down the offside, with consumer unit, pms, controller and sockets etc all in the one box.

Just be aware of the earthing requirements for the incoming EHU connection, many people forget it needs to be bonded to the chassis correctly to ensure that the chassis remains connected to the EHU incoming earth under all circumstances. Insurers have been known to invalidate your entire insurance when its discovered that the rules haven't been met, especially after an "event" :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm

Have a look in the passenger footwell, I've my consumer unit down there and it doesn't impact at all on space for the passenger. Easily enough space for the solar controller also
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:36 pm

Ours is also in the passenger footwell but mounted up off the floor level so you need to bend to actually see it, the solar charge controller is mounted in the side of the drivers door step.

Return to “Techie Stuff”