Dual purpose battery

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Dual purpose battery

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu May 19, 2022 6:48 pm

My leisure battery could do with replacing. I saw some batteries can now act as both a starter and a leisure battery. This got me thinking if I had one of those I could always jump start the starter battery should I need to. My leisure battery is fitted with quick release terminals so I could disconnect that side of system if I was jumping the starter. Can any of the more electrical minded see any issues?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Dual purpose battery

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 19, 2022 7:36 pm

There not always as good as the marketing words make out! By the time you have used it a few times in both modes then you find out that its not happy, its likely out of warranty anyway!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon May 23, 2022 3:31 pm

Bit of a gimmick really, you could always put jump leads between your batterys and some smart relays allow this funcitonality also.

Not recommended if your engine battery is completely dead but if it's just failing to catch, I would be happy to enough to do this from my leisure battery
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Thu May 26, 2022 8:45 am

Don't see any problems , the duel purpose battery is basically a starter battery with a teabag thrown in .Make sure that the CCA is compatible with the engine volume.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu May 26, 2022 12:50 pm

Thanks. Have had a dual purpose battery on a boat for a couple of years. Despite the hammering it gets in the bows it’s been fine as both starter and domestic battery. Jus5 waiting for correct size / layout/ amps to come in stock. The old leisure battery is destined for the electric poultry fencing👍
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Techie Stuff”