help alternator removal 2.5 litre petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

penfold835
Apprentice Bongonaut

help alternator removal 2.5 litre petrol

Post by penfold835 » Sun May 08, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi everyone i am having some difficulty removing the alternator. I have downloaded the fact sheet but have only managed to get so far with removal, The main issue is removing the drive belt. I have removed the lower pin which goes through the u shaped bracket on the alternator and various fixings on what I am presuming is the adjuster, as I have no access to any photos of the set up so I'm not sure. I have also removed the electrical connector but have no movement on the alternator to enable removal of the drive belt. can anyone help please?
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: help alternator removal 2.5 litre petrol

Post by Ian » Mon May 09, 2022 8:00 am

I don't know if this helps, you may have seen it already. The fact sheet was revised on 25/4 with the following information:

Update April 2022: Here is some additional information supplied by Ian Carter.
I found that as I had to remove both bolts securing the alternator that the alternator could be twisted round (pulley towards the middle of the car) sufficient to get both belts off with finger pressure only, refitting the belts onto the new alternator was also possible with minor rotation of the pulley wheel, by hand (new alternator had a slightly larger pulley). A little care is needed for the re-fit, ensuring the alternator lugs are in the correct orientation as there is no clearance to rotate the alternator if the lugs are out-of-position.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”