3 quickies

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

3 quickies

Post by JuicyJoy » Tue May 03, 2022 9:40 pm

Hi, all. Some quick questions as a new Bongo owner:

1) I grazed the attached pipe on the kerb going onto my drive. Located half-way down the driver's side. It was spurting warm, pink fluid (circled) under pressure. What is it? Coolant? If so, where is it going that far back? ATF? With some brute strength & ignorance I wriggled the hose and the "squirting" stopped but I need to keep an eye on it when I next go out.
Leak
Leak
Leak (circled)
Leak (circled)
Leak with bandaid
Leak with bandaid
2) Engine smells strongly when stationary. There is a second pipe on the passenger's side (see message below) that blows like a mini exhaust, which I assume is the cause. What is this? Crank gas outlet? Is this a sign of (very) worn piston rings/seals? How concerned should I be? Engine is 2.5L WLT diesel, 97.5k miles since 1998. Fix or tolerate?

3) I can hear the side door electic motor go every time I shut the sliding door, but I can't get it to WORK! I've heard it's automatic close from half shut, is that right? What can I do to get it working again?

Thanks all in advance!
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: 3 quickies

Post by JuicyJoy » Tue May 03, 2022 9:43 pm

"Mini exhaust" pipe on passenger's side:
Pipe arrowed
Pipe arrowed
Disappears into engine bay
Disappears into engine bay
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 03, 2022 9:55 pm

Your first post and the leak sounds like your engine coolant if its red and water based rather than Dexron3 which is red but oil based for the gearbox.
In which case its the pipes going back to the rear heater and air con. The coolant system as you most likely know is a sealed system and is pressurised by the heat of the engine to help it remove more heat. So check your coolant level when cold and top up with the same coolant type which is likely a Red OAT based coolant additive.

Your door is NOT powered for shutting, its merely a quite close system, draw the sliding door towards closure and the last couple of inches will then be taken over by the quiet close system - you will have noticed 5 contacts on the "B" pillar that when they make contact with the door contacts power the motor and locking, the two recessed contacts operate the door lock itself.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JuicyJoy » Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm

Thank you. Any thoughts about the other identified pipe?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 04, 2022 2:36 pm

Probably best to look on the mechanical diagrams for the 2.5td http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JuicyJoy » Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks for the link. It's good to have and I'll definitely save for future reference but I'm not having much joy it for this query so any tips welcome.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm

That is the gearbox breather pipe , its parted company with the gear box, it goes into the engine bay as you said ,and attached to the rear of the engine. It would be worth while having the breather system serviced.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 04, 2022 7:02 pm

Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JuicyJoy » Wed May 04, 2022 9:51 pm

teenmal wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:38 pm It would be worth while having the breather system serviced.
Thanks, is this something I can do myself? Is it simply a case of cleaning the breather and reattaching the hose?
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JuicyJoy » Tue May 24, 2022 11:14 pm

g8dhe wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:55 pm In which case its the pipes going back to the rear heater and air con. The coolant system as you most likely know is a sealed system and is pressurised by the heat of the engine to help it remove more heat. So check your coolant level when cold and top up with the same coolant type which is likely a Red OAT based coolant additive.
Hi, these three hoses (joined by a Y-shaped plastic junction) have given up the ghost and are spewing coolant out. I've repostitioned and tightened the hose clips but to no avail. I've had a look for the diagrams and part numbers so I can replace them on http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... 1of02.html but can't see it - the diagram just shows the coolant route back to the radiator top hose from the water pump outlet. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 am

I've emailed you about this. Pop round to Bongo Mission Control if you want to collect. We have all but one of the hoses in stock.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
JuicyJoy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by JuicyJoy » Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am

Thanks =D>

Return to “Techie Stuff”