Cutting out and no power

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Herbyfour
Apprentice Bongonaut

Cutting out and no power

Post by Herbyfour » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Hello.
I have been having issues where my bongo (2.0l petrol) is cutting out on idle. This rapidly was accompanied by no power and slow acceleration when setting of (1mph with foot down).

I changed the fuel filter as a hopful easy fix and nothing changed. Gave it an oil and filter change while I was at it.
I then found a vacuum leak on a cracked hose and plastic elbow. I've just replacde all of those and it does idle a little better without stalling but when trying to pull away off the drive it wasnt giving any power again then splutteres and cut out when I took like foot of the accelerator.

Part of me thinks their is another vacuum leak but at this point i maybe hearing things. Any ideas where to go next?

Thanks Ian
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Cutting out and no power

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:59 am

Have you checked the fuel cap, they have been known to have blocked vent holes which then cause a vacuum above the fuel and consequent starvation. They are simple to unclip internally to clean and then just put back in the same sequence, just note the positions and directions of the parts!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:20 am

What year is the vehicle.?
Herbyfour
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Herbyfour » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:48 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:59 am Have you checked the fuel cap, they have been known to have blocked vent holes which then cause a vacuum above the fuel and consequent starvation. They are simple to unclip internally to clean and then just put back in the same sequence, just note the positions and directions of the parts!
I have removed cap and no change
Herbyfour
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Herbyfour » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:49 pm

teenmal wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:20 am What year is the vehicle.?
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:01 pm

Go back over all those vacuum lines and check your air filters clean I've just had the exact symptoms you describe which caused crappy running at low speeds though this was on a carbed machine which had managed to gulp in a lot of midges so I removed the carb and cleaned it out too, just finished two hours back and its running back to normal again. The only trouble is I can't point a finger to the fix out of those three.
nonw
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by nonw » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:46 am

I’ve been having a similar issue with my 1996 Bongo. When starting the engine it shakes a lot but starts, then when coming to a stop the engine shakes some more and cuts out! It happens quite often. I try and run the engine at idle for 5 minutes before starting on a journey which sometimes works but not all the time. It’s been to the garage and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Please let me know if you find a solution to this

Return to “Techie Stuff”