WANTED: Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch in the USA

Looking for hard to find bull-bars etc? Or have something to give away for free? This is the place for you! NO TRADE! NB You can stipulate postage costs when giving away items, but no selling! Items for sale go in 'Small Ads' on here, or 'For Sale' on http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/bongo.htm

Moderator: francophile1947

pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

WANTED: Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch in the USA

Post by pm-bongo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:02 am

Does anyone know where I can buy a trailer hitch/tow bar that fits the bongo in the US? Even a universal one that someone is certain will work for the bongo is fine!

Thought it would be easy but seems difficult... Thanks so much in advance!
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Re: WANTED: Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch in the USA

Post by Hazzobongo » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:39 am

If you find one I suggest not towing anything heavy in those hills, these Bongos overheat and blow cylinder heads just like the hilux of the same era, both jap imports and not designed with towing in mind as the Japanese don't tow. If you can survive without one thats what I'd be doing.
pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by pm-bongo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Gotcha, we really just want it for a hitch bike rack. Think that would be alright?
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 pm

Yeah should be fine for bike racks or even a small trailer with a couple hundredweight load but I wouldn't push it too far. I reckon the issue with the cracking heads is the same as on the hilux surf, the tranny oil passes through the bottom of the radiator which isn't up to the job once the van is loaded and pulling a heavy trailer, I blew my surf the same way, it was only after blowing it I found the main problems to be a dried out of oil viscous fan which was allowing the radiator to get too hot anyway and not having an indy cooler for those tranny oil pipes. And just like these bongos the temperature guage is as useful as a chocolate kettle.

Sorry for the late reply I've been busy sorting out my own bongo and motorcycle and ignoring the internet.

Return to “Stuff Wanted/ Free Stuff/Swaps”