USA Bongos - Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

USA Bongos - Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch

Post by pm-bongo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:59 am

Hi All,

We have owned a bongo in Idaho for the past 6 months and really enjoyed it. We are now looking to install a tow bar so that we can attach a bike rack and or extra storage box in back. Any suggestions on where I can get a tow bar in the US or have one shipped? We have found a few companies that seem to sell tow bars designed for the bongo but aren't willing to ship to the US. Is there another vehicle with the same SG platform that might have tow bars that would also fit the bongo? Is there a universal tow bar/trailer hitch system that works for the bongo?

Thanks!
Chelan
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: USA Bongos - Tow Bar/Trailer Hitch

Post by g8dhe » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:25 am

Be aware that the rear nearside mounting plate designed for a towbar is inadequate!!! Its merely spot welded into place and has been known for the welds to break and allow the support to drop :-( The one design now available in the UK has an added support strut to take the load back to the main chassis on the near side.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:27 am

Chelan, nothing else is compatible I'm afraid. I know this because I asked A1 Towing (sadly did not survive lockdown) this very question. But all is not lost. 4 years ago my previous Bongo was written off in an accident and before sending it to the knackers yard I removed the tow bar which you are quite welcome to have. I suspect it would be horribly expensive to ship to USA but get back to me if interested,
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:37 am

I once shipped a Triumph Spitfire gearbox to Canada with Fedex and it was surprisingly reasonable. Of course I can't remember exactly how much.

It was also fantastic service, the guy picked it up Monday lunch time and it was delivered on Wednesday.
pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by pm-bongo » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:04 am

G8dhe - is the model with the extra support the TMZ168? That is the one we were looking into which seemed stronger and more supported.

Ian - are you located in the UK? Does Fedex have shipping locations near you? We definitely might be interested. Could you potentially send or attach a picture? I believe we are hoping for the TMZ168 model or something similar that is supported with a bolt through the chassis.

Thanks!

Chelan
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:38 am

Yes that is correct. The others have all been modified or taken off the market I believe, but I did see one recently that didn't appear to have the extra nearside support.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:07 am

pm-bongo wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:04 amIan - are you located in the UK? Does Fedex have shipping locations near you? We definitely might be interested. Could you potentially send or attach a picture? I believe we are hoping for the TMZ168 model or something similar that is supported with a bolt through the chassis.
Yes, I am in UK and even have a Fedex account! I can send you photos and discuss the practicalities with you but this is best done via email [email protected]. By the way it's the A1 model MA465.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “International”