Buying advice welcomed....

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

steerpike
Apprentice Bongonaut

Buying advice welcomed....

Post by steerpike » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:13 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first ever Bongo. I'd imagine you get a lot of these types of post so hope it's not too boring.

Some context - I've had a VW T5 in the past so I understand the camper lifestyle, etiquette, pros and cons and suchlike.

I'm after something that fits the following criteria:
- no earlier than 2000 manufacture - pref something newer like 2005+ epesh if this lowers VED and improves mpg
- 2.0l petrol engine
- FSH
- 70,000 mileage or lower
- side conversion to included 2 ring gas and fridge and pop out table
- standard sky lift pop top (i.e. not mushroom)
- elec hookup and best/biggest leisure battery available
- not fussed with about a cassette/toliet
- swivel passenger seat would be nice
- as much extra storage as poss
- really not too fussed about the interior finish so long as in decent nick and sturdy

If I found, say a 2005 model that meets the above criteria, with circa 70k on the clock - what would be a reasonable price to pay? I do have about £15k to play with but obvs would rather get a bargain.

I'm inclined to call JAL imports and discuss options with them.

If it helps, I'm based in mid Somerset so any tips on dealers local to me would be great

Finally - I'd love to hear experiences from dog owners - the van would be just for me and my dog atm (greyhound)

TIA
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Buying advice welcomed....

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:22 pm

All the Bongo's were actually made prior to 2005! The paint factory burned down December 2004, anything that came out after that date was merely registered in 2005/6 after sitting in the carpark.
Your best bet is to look round the converters etc who are still buying in vehicles from Japan and selling on or converting. There are lots of different conversions available some are better quality than others ;-) Prices are still all over the place what with the demand created during Covid, but there are some now appearing on the market from buyers who either cannot afford them or campervans don't really suit the style it seems!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
steerpike
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Buying advice welcomed....

Post by steerpike » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:37 pm

Ah! That makes sense, thank you.

Ok, I think I have it in my head what I'm prepared to pay and am not afraid to drive a hard(ish) bargain. I was thinking that covid might be skewing prices a little. Will try and have a look more locally.

Return to “Bongo Chat”