Roof Motors Advice - Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JF117
Bongonaut

Re: Roof Motors Advice - Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Post by JF117 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:14 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:08 pm Yes that is definitely a case of a newer model tent having been put on an older roof :-) Been there done that myself! Ended up being able to exchange it with someone who had the reverse combination so we both ended up with the right sizes!
That doesn't however explain the beeping continuing, but I suspect that who ever worked on it before may have played with all the parts involved and hence the limit switch is one way or another not tripping or telling the computer its reached full height!
I'm also starting to think that I should have got the newer style struts as I'm currently looking down at my originally removed strut and its measuring in at approx 999mm.

So is it this?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc3128 ... roof-strut

At this point I'm 120£ down on 2x pairs of struts and probably going to go after another set... :shock:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:20 pm

A bit more complicated than this, the older roof cantilever sliders that do the raising are different from the later Aero design as they (the aero ones) had to reach 3" higher in the same length of travel, but in the lowered position couldn't be any longer than the original ones in order to fit on the roof of the Bongo, hence the gas struts are different lengths but so also is the cantilever section its actually quite ingenious when you study how the roof is raised how they do it.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:32 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:20 pm A bit more complicated than this, the older roof cantilever sliders that do the raising are different from the later Aero design as they (the aero ones) had to reach 3" higher in the same length of travel, but in the lowered position couldn't be any longer than the original ones in order to fit on the roof of the Bongo, hence the gas struts are different lengths but so also is the cantilever section its actually quite ingenious when you study how the roof is raised how they do it.
What should I do? :shock:

If I was to hazard a guess at what's happened here, using the knowledge you've provided, I'd say everything seems consistent with the fact it's an Aero AFT?

I spoke to Adrian at Japan Direct - Bury over the phone and he asked me to measure the following to which he also said it should be about an inch short of the end of the rail.

I'm going to phone SGS engineering and see what can be done, the only explanation in my head is that the struts are too short and it needs an extra lift... :?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:57 pm

Not sure its possible to diagnose remotely, I suspect you really need to compare parts:- Tent, Roof itself, sliders, cantilever arms, gas struts and see what is what. I guess you must have an Aero tent, but maybe its the shorter gas struts that aren't allowing it to go fully up, or its mismash of parts before you even got it if someone didn't understand that there are two sizes.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:12 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:57 pm Not sure its possible to diagnose remotely, I suspect you really need to compare parts:- Tent, Roof itself, sliders, cantilever arms, gas struts and see what is what. I guess you must have an Aero tent, but maybe its the shorter gas struts that aren't allowing it to go fully up, or its mismash of parts before you even got it if someone didn't understand that there are two sizes.
I would say that at one point the previous owners did not have this problem. It only started happening just after we bought it, so with that assumption in mind, there must be a way to fix it.

There are two options:

Re gas my originally purchased adjustable gas struts to the same force as the second set and see what happens or just buy a third set which are designed for the Aero AFT and see what happens.

:cry:
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:09 pm

Mines also a 2.5 diesel with AFT and last weekend was the first time since we tried it out when we bought it that we used the roof and its the same as yours regarding the bleeping continuing once the roof is fully up and ours was full up as the tent portion was taut.
When we started the engine on leaving the campsite it wasn't bleeping any more and only began bleeping after pressing the unlock button and then the lowering button but it stopped when the roof was fully lowered.
Could be just a lack of use imo and whatever triggers the beep noise was stuck and so it continued.
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:09 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:09 pm Mines also a 2.5 diesel with AFT and last weekend was the first time since we tried it out when we bought it that we used the roof and its the same as yours regarding the bleeping continuing once the roof is fully up and ours was full up as the tent portion was taut.
When we started the engine on leaving the campsite it wasn't bleeping any more and only began bleeping after pressing the unlock button and then the lowering button but it stopped when the roof was fully lowered.
Could be just a lack of use imo and whatever triggers the beep noise was stuck and so it continued.
Do you know if your struts are original and if so what's the code/serial # on them?

if they are [S52H 56 94C] and you know for a fact you have a AFT, then that's probably how I should have replaced mine.

Heres a picture of my original strut side by side the SGS Engineering GSV10-450 adjustable strut.

The GSV10-450 adjustable was too strong but the bleeping noise did stop. So I'm not sure whether to go for SGS's GSC3128 / https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc3128 ... roof-strut
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:20 pm

Sorry mate I couldn't tell you for certain if they're the originals but considering its only been in this country three years and with 60k miles I assume they're all original parts, I can raise it in the morning and check for the numbers if you like, I'll post the results afterwards.
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:20 pm Sorry mate I couldn't tell you for certain if they're the originals but considering its only been in this country three years and with 60k miles I assume they're all original parts, I can raise it in the morning and check for the numbers if you like, I'll post the results afterwards.
I ended up buying SGS's AFT Aero aka new style struts, so that I could try them out and see, but they still haven't arrived yet.
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:42 pm

My apologies again, something must have came up and distracted me at the time and I completely forgot to take a look, probably due to holiday season as both myself and my son have been taking breaks away in the van, him at weekends and us during the week as with the glorious climate change we couldn't resist lol.

Hope you got it all sorted by now.
Onegoldenearth
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Onegoldenearth » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:40 pm

Did you find a solution in the end? I am looking to replace my struts and my van is a 1999 diesel with the same tent as yours and the struts have the same code on them, S52H 56 940.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:05 pm

SGS do all the different struts and I think are the only suppliers in the country!
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boo ... azda/bongo
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”