Roof Motors Advice - Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

JF117
Bongonaut

Roof Motors Advice - Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Post by JF117 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:42 pm

Hi there,

Seeking some advice on my roof motors. I had messaged in and amongst another thread regarding the roof but that was regarding the struts.

Due to the constant bleeping noise [when the roof is in motion] I replaced the struts through SGS Engineering [Item Code GSV 10-450 - Adjustable Force Gas Strut / B18 - 13mm ball socket M8 thread 25mm long] to which the previous, and original struts, had to be cut off. They didn't have the little clip which came with the new stuts.

Anyway, when they were replaced, and the bleeping noise stopped but the gas in the strut was so strong that the roof wouldn't come back down again until it was forced down [by strap].

At this point I was under the impression all I had to do was replace the strut and not necessarily adjust the gas in each respective strut.

Once I established that I needed to adjust the strut, I popped the roof back up and begun releasing gas in 1-2 second intervals trying the motor to bring the roof down each time. I eventually released so much gas, the bleeping noise came back on but the motors were not budging.

I eventually got it to a point where the motors would bring the roof down on their own without any assistance but now they're so weak they won't even hold it up properly. #-o

So it puts the roof up okay, but will struggle to close it therefore ultimately, what I wanted to know is, do I need new roof motors? Then, after that, how much gas should I release when I get the new roof motors, is there any way to measure it properly?
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Re: Roof Motors Advice - Bongo 2.5TD 1999

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 pm

The raising and lowering of the roof is always accompanied by 'bleeping', fitting the wrong struts seems to be your problem and nothing to do with your motors either considering they raise the roof into position, its the struts holding them there.
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:59 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 pm The raising and lowering of the roof is always accompanied by 'bleeping', fitting the wrong struts seems to be your problem and nothing to do with your motors either considering they raise the roof into position, its the struts holding them there.
Sorry, to be clear, the 'bleeping' remained even when the roof was fully erect. That was the reason for replacing the struts, which initially seemed to work, it just didn't want to close after because the force from the strut was too strong.

If its not the motor but the strut, have any idea what strut it is I need?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:18 pm

Why did you not replace the gas struts with the original type S10K56940B from SGS ? https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc1639 ... roof-strut Which is the right type for the AFT itself ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:03 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:18 pm Why did you not replace the gas struts with the original type S10K56940B from SGS ? https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc1639 ... roof-strut Which is the right type for the AFT itself ?

It had something to do with the part numbers. My original part number on the strut was S52H 56 940 and after talking with them on the phone, and providing them with all my measurements, they provided me with the adjustable force gas strut.

As I'm going to need new struts anyway - I just buy these https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc1639 ... roof-strut ?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:05 pm

Provided your not the Aero style ones where the roof lifts higher, SGS have those as well see the main advert page for Bongo's https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boo ... azda/bongo

Also have you read this thread where several people have joined in with there experiences viewtopic.php?p=644947#p644947 the types used are mentioned.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:36 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:05 pm Provided your not the Aero style ones where the roof lifts higher, SGS have those as well see the main advert page for Bongo's https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boo ... azda/bongo
See, that's the thing, I honestly don't know. I sent them all the measurements and thought what they were going to send me were the correct type. Guess I'm just going to have to call them, although wanted to make sure that it definitely is not the motor.
g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:05 pm Also have you read this thread where several people have joined in with there experiences viewtopic.php?p=644947#p644947 the types used are mentioned.
I have yeah, as I type this post, I'm the last poster.. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 pm

See this picture older style with lower roof behind and the newer Aero style in front.
IMG_20210706_130435.jpg
The newer version has the dark moon window at the front top of the AFT.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 pm See this picture older style with lower roof behind and the newer Aero style in front.
IMG_20210706_130435.jpg
Nice, that's helpful - mine definitely does not have a dark moon window. So I think I'll go ahead and get the old style struts & hope for the best. Thanks.
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:57 pm

JF117 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:34 pm
g8dhe wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:39 pm See this picture older style with lower roof behind and the newer Aero style in front.
IMG_20210706_130435.jpg
Nice, that's helpful - mine definitely does not have a dark moon window. So I think I'll go ahead and get the old style struts & hope for the best. Thanks.
Hi,

Back again.

Just wanted to share my journey to replacing my gas struts and ask for some help.

I essentially had the original struts [from Japan] on the Auto Free Top [AFT], which were sawn off and replaced with a M4 sized ball socket strut from SGS Engineering. I stupidly bought the adjustable strut which cost me because I needed to replace with the above.

I have since replaced with the above, they fit nicely, the roof goes up and down with no problems but still with the beeping noise whilst engine is on

Wanted to ask for advice on the following - does anyone know what this is?

Myself and my cousin worked out that when this button is pressed in, the noise stops, but when it is released, it beeps.

If you're looking at the vehicle from the front, it's along the right side of the AFT about a foot up from the motor between the rails and it's a little plastic push-like button which when pushed inwards closes some sort of loop and stops the beeping noise.

Think I worked out that it's a "R15A1 TOP MOTOR LIMIT SWITCH" ?

https://www.ilcats.ru/mazda/?function=g ... &pid=18196

-------------------

Separately, I've noticed that when my roof is fully erect it's not nice and taught. Originally I thought this was because of the Struts, but as I have now ruled out the Struts and the Motors, I'm wondering what else it could be.

I noticed that, inside the AFT, when fully erect, the inside springloaded flaps, do not flap outwards. Is it possible to have these replaced and if so, could someone point me in the right direction please?

Photo:

Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 pm

The little plastic bumps are actually the Limit Switches which tell the AFT computer where the roof is;
there are two at the front/top one each side that operate when the sliders enter the black plastic shrouds that hold the roof locked down in the closed position, one each side to ensure that both sliders are fully down - these are the ones that stop the beeps/turn off the internal light and tell the computer to stop the motors.
There is a single one on the nearside halfway down which is used to stop the roof lowering at the "halfway" point, to let you check that the material is folding properly and all is clear.
There is another one right at the back nearside, this tells the computer that the roof is fully up, turns off the beeping and shuts off the motors in the fully raised position.
Details and how to adjust them, if required, on this link http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:34 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 pm The little plastic bumps are actually the Limit Switches which tell the AFT computer where the roof is;
there are two at the front/top one each side that operate when the sliders enter the black plastic shrouds that hold the roof locked down in the closed position, one each side to ensure that both sliders are fully down - these are the ones that stop the beeps/turn off the internal light and tell the computer to stop the motors.
There is a single one on the nearside halfway down which is used to stop the roof lowering at the "halfway" point, to let you check that the material is folding properly and all is clear.
There is another one right at the back nearside, this tells the computer that the roof is fully up, turns off the beeping and shuts off the motors in the fully raised position.
Details and how to adjust them, if required, on this link http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/aft/
Thanks for that, will check it out.

Do you have any insight on the second part of my post? The internal springloaded flaps that make sure the tent-canvas is taught?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:05 am

The spring loaded flaps are used to close the tent inwards when you lower the roof to make sure the material folds inwards. If the material isn't taught when fully raised and the beeps have stopped even with the Ignition ON then are you sure some one hasn't put the wrong size tent on, later versions, Aero onwards, the roof went higher and the tent was taller, but its several inches difference. If the beeping doesn't stop then you haven't reached the top position, its not clear from the text if beeping has stopped or not ?
Do you have a picture of the tent from outside when the roof has stopped going up and does the beeping stop at that position ?
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:00 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:05 am The spring loaded flaps are used to close the tent inwards when you lower the roof to make sure the material folds inwards. If the material isn't taught when fully raised and the beeps have stopped even with the Ignition ON then are you sure some one hasn't put the wrong size tent on, later versions, Aero onwards, the roof went higher and the tent was taller, but its several inches difference. If the beeping doesn't stop then you haven't reached the top position, its not clear from the text if beeping has stopped or not ?
Do you have a picture of the tent from outside when the roof has stopped going up and does the beeping stop at that position ?

are you sure some one hasn't put the wrong size tent on?

Truthfully, no I am not sure, but see below photos for yourself and let me know if you know different

its not clear from the text if beeping has stopped or not ?

Beeping does not stop when 1. Engine is running and 2. roof is up fully (or as much as it can possibly go) and only stops when 3. Engine is off

See below pictures which show 1. the AFT fully erect 2. beeping noise on (obv you can not hear that haha) and 3. the inside of the pop top which show the spring loaded flaps hanging loosely / not springing outwards which is what I think is the problem

I would like to know if it's a case of taking this out / apart and replacing the spring or do I need to replace that part fully, if at all? If it has nothing to do with that, is it something else?

Also something to note: Roof is going up and down absolutely no problems with just the noise at the top. It does stop in the middle, but I dont have to press the little "STOP/CANCEL" button to let the mechanism know that the rooftop is clear, I just push 'CLOSE' roof and it continues on closing.

Also to clarify: its not clear to me yet whether the tent not being taught and the beeping noise are the same problem or mutually exclusive i.e two separate problems.

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Yes that is definitely a case of a newer model tent having been put on an older roof :-) Been there done that myself! Ended up being able to exchange it with someone who had the reverse combination so we both ended up with the right sizes!
That doesn't however explain the beeping continuing, but I suspect that who ever worked on it before may have played with all the parts involved and hence the limit switch is one way or another not tripping or telling the computer its reached full height!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”