Conversion cost

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Sheelsie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Conversion cost

Post by Sheelsie » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Hi all,

Bongo Newbie here!

Looking to see if any of you good people would share the cost of your conversion from a company? We're poised to buy our first Bongo and swithering between an already converted one or unconverted we would get a company to convert for us. The last option means we get to chose, but really need to know ball-park costs.

Looking at a full side conversion with rock and roll bed etc. (Not roof, would buy pop-top).

Anyone recently had one done? Thanks on advance.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Conversion cost

Post by g8dhe » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:25 pm

Welcome!
The conversion costs can vary a lot depending on what sort of conversion you want, full side, partial side, rear, R&R bed etc etc.
Some companies that do conversions will only convert vehicles that they have imported as otherwise they run the problem of starting work only to find that you have a rust problem ......
You need to work out in detail what conversion you want and then find a company that does that type of work on the vehicle you want to buy.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Sheelsie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sheelsie » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:55 pm

Thanks so much. I'm aware there are sooooo many variations. It's just hard to fund a ball-park figure. I just fancied some idea of cost before I need to answer 100s of questions from a sales team, but I may need to just bite the bullet and go in.

😊 Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:43 am

Welcome aboard. 8)

Geoff's right, only the people being asked to do the work can give a price, just too may options. :wink:

Lots to choose from, but the main thing is a solid vehicle to start with.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:32 am

Sheelsie wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:55 pm It's just hard to fund a ball-park figure. I just fancied some idea of cost before I need to answer 100s of questions from a sales team, but I may need to just bite the bullet and go in.
I'd budget for between £4k and £5k.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Jon75
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jon75 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:17 pm

Hi

Bongo newbie here!

It would be really interesting to hear how you got on, or are getting on with the conversion Sheelsie.

I'm currently looking for a bongo and have decided that my best option is probably to buy a bongo with a pop up top but otherwise not converted and get this done afterwards. The ball park figures I've got from looking at some companies is around the £1500-£2000 mark for a rear end conversion and more around £3000 mark for a side conversion. Not sure how accurate this is, and I'm aware that it would be possible to spend a lot more on more luxurious versions.
Rickster
Bongonaut

Post by Rickster » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:14 pm

To give an idea on costs when done as a DIY project to a fairly high standard, here's a little breakdown.
Custom rock & roll bed £840 delivered.
Cooker/single hob unit about £300.
Wood for floor and melamine units £200.
Carpet and other upholstery stuff £40.
Lighting to an extreme level £150 or thereabouts.
Battery charger, fusebox, 240v fusebox £150.
Audio system with new speakers and dual subs £700.
All the above is without labour charges, slap at least another grand or more on top if a shop was to put their time into it.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”