Oil extraction pump?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ever after.
Bongolier

Oil extraction pump?

Post by ever after. » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking into getting an oil extraction pump to use on my van and I'm just wondering if there's any reason I couldn't use it to drain the Auto box fluid as well?

My van is lowered so it's a right pain trying to get in at the drain plugs or get a container in under it to collect the oil.
What capacity pump would I need?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :?
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Re: Oil extraction pump?

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:44 pm

I got mine from Amazon after watching a bloke use one on youtube, it holds 4 or 5 litres and to use it in the dipstick holes I had to add some thinner tubing, it works great as long as you don't push the tube further than the dipstick length as the thin tube then bends and comes back out of the fluids you're trying to empty, I'll be going back to the sump plug method as these tend to leave behind at least a couple of litres in the sump.

The actual capacity of the pump doesn't matter as I always keep old oil containers to pour the old oil into and no matter how I tried to hit the bottom of the pan it just didn't do it, I need axle stands or ramps for this task and others under the van so what fresh oil I got in there will stay till I get those.

Screwfix and other motoring places have them for sale, apparently the more expensive sealey version has hard pipe at the end to prevent the curling back on itself problem, trouble is they all seem to come with the same size diameter pipe which just doesn't fit the dipstick tube so the hard end of the sealey model isn't likely to either.
Tessie
Bongolier

Post by Tessie » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:20 am

Pela Pumps are ones that a few Bongo owners have used. I have the Pela 6000 (holds 6 litres) and not had any problem getting the tube down the dipstick hole, just push it down until it hits the bottom then pull it back slightly so it can withdraw the oil. the cylinder is marked off in litre sections so you can easily see how much oil has been withdrawn and know that most of it has been removed.

I maybe do 2 or 3 oil changes using the pump then do one by removing the sump plug.

I have had my pump for quite a few years now so don't know if the extraction tube has been changed in size since then.

http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/
Never run out of road, traction and ideas at the same time.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:36 am

I use a Pela and agree with Tessie.

Use it for the 3000 mile oil change and the garage does the 6000 mile/annual service.

Bear in mind the engine must (really must) be up to temperature or the oil is too thick to be sucked out. :wink:
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 pm

Mine holds five litres is exactly the same as that pela 6000 but it didn't come with extraction straws and the tubing I added is the wifes old oxygen tube hence the difficulty in completely emptying the sump, however it was 15 quid so I'll look around for a bit of harder pipe to fit those dipstick tubes.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm after going ahead and ordering a Pela 6000.

I'll let ye know how I get on with it :D
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:50 pm

Reading this thread prompted me to try out an electric pump I bought in Aldi several years ago and which has remained in its box until yesterday.

it is called an 'Ultimate Speed Oil Suction pump UAP 12 A1' and it surpassed all expectations, particularly with regard to the extraction tubing which easily went into the dipstick hole and didn't go too soft with the heat.

Admittedly I tried it out on my 2003 Suzuki Ignis but I can see no reason why it shouldn't work fine in the Bongo. Piece of cake in the car as the battery is in the same compartment as the engine but I should be able to find 12V from the starter motor wiring on the Bongo. The device uses croc clips and not a cigar lighter plug.

What was a huge improvement over using my previous hand pump, which came from a yacht chandlery, is that the previous pump needed two hands, one to hold it steady and the other to work the plunger. That left no hands free to manage the pipes full of hot oil which develop a mind of their own and can start misbehaving messily.

I pump the old oil into a one litre plastic drink bottle and each time it fills I switch off and pour the old oil into a can where it is kept for shed and fence painting. I took 3 litres out of my Ignis and replaced it with 3 new litres via a 5 litre oil container of the type with a translucent strip calibrated in litres down its side.

Of course, the Bongo can swallow a whole 5 litre can and more but I've always found the pump starts gurgling before you can suck it all out.

After I'd done the job yesterday, I found a brand new boxed oil filter under the front passenger seat, I'd been looking everywhere for it!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Garry W
Bongonaut

Post by Garry W » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:37 pm

ever after. wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:06 pm I'm after going ahead and ordering a Pela 6000.
Wotcha.

I've been using the Pela 6000 for the last five or six years without any problems.
G.W.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:59 pm

Ditto, 15 years and 65 oil changes, you know it makes sense!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:23 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:59 pm Ditto, 15 years and 65 oil changes, you know it makes sense!
Great to see you're still Bongoing Muz. 16 (Pela) years for me, and 5 oil changes. You know I'm not making sense :lol:
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:29 am

Reporting back and I've nothing bad to say about the Pela 6000.

It certainly makes switching out the oil much more convenient and less messy - although I did still make a bit of a mess removing the oil filter #-o

I was going to use it on my transmission fluid too but I'm reading that if it's not discoloured or causing you any problems then it should be left well alone.

I'm not sure though, I've the van 4 years and never touched it
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:39 am

I'd only do tranny oil on mileage not time or if the car is worked hard, towing etc, if its just a weekend away type motor the tranny oil will last a long time.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:35 pm

...but do the gearbox oil more frequently than ours....

viewtopic.php?t=66761
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:35 pm ...but do the gearbox oil more frequently than ours....
I'm only on 170,000kms so it sounds to me like it'll do twice that :lol:

Would be nice to check and clear the magnet but at the same time I could just drain it with the Pela pump and replace the exact quantity i took out with fresh oil.

It would be at least 86% easier :-k

Return to “Techie Stuff”