Rear side windows

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Rear side windows

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:13 pm

Do these open at all or are what I'm taking to be hinges just brackets for the glass panes?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Rear side windows

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:22 pm

The two on the off side open, plus the one on the sliding door.

The n/s/r one is fixed closed so the door doesn't foul it. :wink:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:50 pm

The catch can be difficult to open if it hasn't been used much, or at all!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:53 pm

So how do they work, is it pull the catch and push on the glass. (I assume the catch is the single 'hinge')
I don't think these have ever been opened.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:53 pm So how do they work, is it pull the catch and push on the glass. (I assume the catch is the single 'hinge')
I don't think these have ever been opened.
Difficult to explain. Pull the part nearest the glass out and away towards you, carefully. Then the window will open, but only a couple of inches.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:14 pm

OK thanks for that, I'll have a look tomorrow.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:41 am

If you're near me, North Somerset, I'll happily show you. :)
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:57 pm

I'm about 270 miles so thanks Bob but I'll figure them out.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:18 pm

:D :D :D
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:47 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:57 pm I'm about 270 miles so thanks Bob but I'll figure them out.
Will be about the same for me then

If you update your name with an area, someone close may be able to help. Failing that, come to one of the meets, and everyone will happily show you!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:38 pm

I'm in the N.E. just outside Hartlepool and now retired so won't be heading back south too much these days, I lived/worked in Kent for five years and London as a courier for ten in the eighties so had enough of the area, the only place in the country I haven't been resident at one time or another is Wales so might give that a go bongoing later in the year after I've got my head around the ins and outs of this van.

Today I'm testing the leisure battery with the halfords coolbox, my hope is the charge from the solar panel doesn't let the battery plunge into useless territory which is my fear as it seems to be always on charge between the solar and driving, I'll also know if the outlet will draw from the starter battery as not having done the wiring myself I haven't a clue whats integrated or not, hoping it doesn't but moved the van away from the garage door so I can get in to my charger/tools/multimeter for checks later.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:33 pm

Hazzobongo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:38 pm I'm in the N.E. just outside Hartlepool and now retired so won't be heading back south too much these days, I lived/worked in Kent for five years and London as a courier for ten in the eighties so had enough of the area, the only place in the country I haven't been resident at one time or another is Wales so might give that a go bongoing later in the year after I've got my head around the ins and outs of this van.

Today I'm testing the leisure battery with the halfords coolbox, my hope is the charge from the solar panel doesn't let the battery plunge into useless territory which is my fear as it seems to be always on charge between the solar and driving, I'll also know if the outlet will draw from the starter battery as not having done the wiring myself I haven't a clue whats integrated or not, hoping it doesn't but moved the van away from the garage door so I can get in to my charger/tools/multimeter for checks later.
Be careful, coolboxes will drain a LB very quickly
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 am

I left it running a couple of hours it depleted the battery by 1 volt while the solar input put it back to 13.4 in less than an hour and it was a dull overcast day, I reckon on a nicer day and with a pre-cooled full coolbox there'd be no worries over a weekend away plus the driving to the destination would get the box nice n cold before the engine was switched off which means less of a drain on power. We also have an EHU installed and a smart charger under the passenger glove box which I reckon the PO has integrated into the system.

The starter battery must be independent as there was no depletion of voltage. I'll test it for longer when theres a better day, its really the only appliance which would be a constant draw on the LB, the lighting is all LED which takes very little and the only other thing we'll be adding is a car radio/stereo so I think we'd be OK without mains or engine power for at least a night. Not being an electrician no doubt I'll find out soon enough :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:21 am

Be aware that it can take 20-30 minutes for a change in battery state to actually show clearly in the terminal voltage!
13.4 volts is the Float voltage (13.4 - 13.6 volts) of any lead acid battery it will show this (decreasing) for some time as above even when the charger has been disconnected until it reaches the Resting voltage of 12.6 volts of a fully charged battery.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi G8
For the 2 hours it was on the battery only the charge state sat at 11.1 with the coolbox running, when I shut the coolbox off the battery was registering as 12.2 about thirty minutes later, like I said to JG it had only dropped a volt running an empty box for 2 hours, my starter battery sits at 12.8 and appears to only get charged by the alternator whereas the LB seems to get charged by the split charge relay while driving and the solar panel when the engines off.

I think both batteries were installed here in the UK within the last three years. I don't know if the smart charger just decides to kick in automatically at a certain point of discharge when its getting solar power or what, any info on that as I don't have a clue because I've inherited someone elses work with this van.

I've got to get to know all whats going on with these electrics and they've obviously been set up this way for some off grid camping scenarios hence testing the coolbox draw for a couple of hours as that is presently the only device we'd have live if we laid up overnight, I'd like to know how long you figure it would last.

Return to “Bongo Chat”