Letter to Mazda

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Ian
Supreme Being

Letter to Mazda

Post by Ian » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Here is the text of a letter sent today to Mazda UK.

I hope you can help me. I am the secretary of “Bongo Fury”, the Mazda Bongo Friendee owners club. Currently we have about 2,000 members, mainly in the UK. Recently, with the introduction of E10 petrol and also Clean Air Zones, a number of issues have arisen for which we cannot find the solution.

In case you don’t know, Mazda Bongo Friendees (and Ford Fredas) were manufactured for the domestic Japanese market between 1995 and 2005. They make ideal camper vans and many have arrived in the UK as “grey imports”.

I would be grateful if you could answer the following questions or point me in the right direction.

Fuel

There are 2 types of petrol Bongo. The 2 litre 4-cylinder version (FE engine) and the 2.5 litre V6 (J5 engine). Guidance issued by the Japanese Association of Automotive Manufacturers (JAMA) states:

"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all models with petrol engines introduced in and from 2002"

The J5 engine on V6 Bongos did not change between their introduction in May 95 to their demise in August 02. We recommend our members that E5 fuel should be used wherever possible. If E10 petrol is used an “Ethanol Guard” additive should be used.

The same advice is given to users of J5 engines. However the part number for the 2 litre Bongo changed on 17 July 2002, so we have advised that if members have a vehicle with chassis number SGEW-503208 onwards, or SGE3-400091 onwards they can use E10 fuel without any problems.

Can you confirm that we have issued the correct guidance?

Emissions

The introduction of the Greater London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and other Clean Air Zones across the UK means that in many locations Bongos are now subject to a daily charge as they are not listed as meeting Euro4 (petrol) or Euro6 (diesel). But it is possible that later petrol Bongos were manufactured to conform to vigorous Japanese emissions standards and therefore may meet Euro4 standards.

Can you confirm that this is the case? Is there any emissions data available for the diesel (WLT engine) Bongos or the J5 and FE petrol Bongos?

Thank you for taking time to consider these matters and I look forward to your response.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Letter to Mazda

Post by g8dhe » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:18 pm

Ian wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:09 pm The same advice is given to users of J5 engines. However the part number for the 2 litre Bongo changed on 17 July 2002,
Did you mean J5 or FE ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:40 pm

Well spotted. Should be FE. Do you want a job as my proof reader?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:16 pm

I'm sure they will get the idea ;-) Be interesting to find out if they can give us a definitive answer but suspect the records for 20 years ago might take a bit of finding!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:02 am

The Bongo was placed 10th in their recent favourite models survey. Now they'll realise where a lot of the enthusiasts are and hopefully will respond with useful info. 🙂
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
bongoju
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by bongoju » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 am

Hi Ian

Thank you for writing to Mazda UK regarding both matters.
I live inside the ULEZ zone and thinking of getting rid of the Bongo because I simply cannot afford it. It is a complete rip off!
They are installing cameras everywhere so you cannot really avoid paying the tax!!

I would be very much interested in their reply.

Cheers!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:05 pm

I have received this response:

Thank you for your letter dated 2 February, I can confirm our Homologations Manager has approached Mazda Corporation in Japan to assist with the enquiry, to make you aware there responses can take anywhere up to 3-4 weeks. As soon as we have any additional information I will be back in touch.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:14 pm

That sounds promising! 🙂
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:29 pm

Well done Ian. It'll be interesting to see what reply Mazda send. I wrote enthusiastically to Mazda about 15 years ago to suggest the Bongo could have iconic value to their brand rather as the Type 2 and Beetle did for VW many years ago. Never heard anything back from them. Strange how it takes a group of people regarded by mainstream car drivers as eccentric to help a brand become legendary. I thought they had marketing people, brand consultants, PR agencies, all sorts that were supposed to spot such potential :roll: :lol:
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:25 pm

I have received a response and you can read the full letter at NEW LINK https://igmaynard.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... etters.pdf

In summary they have told us that E10 fuel should not be used on any petrol Bongo, and that no Bongo engines have been tested for Euro type approval compatability and therefore no clean air and low emissions exemptions can be made.

In other words we have to use more expensive fuel and we have to pay ULEZ/CAZ charges.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:21 pm

That's a shame, but I guess they're covering themselves by stating the facts as they know them to be. At least they replied. 😀
Members experiences with fuel may be different, as we all know that some haven't (yet) reported any problems, using E10 in some models.
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:28 pm

Nothing will happen immediately and we're only five months into E10 rubbish but its obvious the injection system must have used rubber seals if Mazda are saying not to use it because those rubber components are what gets destroyed by this stuff, ethanol also attracts water which then turns to a sperm like substance which blocks jets in carbs and will do the same for injectors. I spent weeks cleaning out carbs and injection systems for mates whose bikes wouldn't start after being left standing over winter and that was with E5 so if your bongo is parked up for the winter months I suggest a fuel additive for this stuff, on a bike its easy enough to drain the system or run it till its empty if you're parking up for months, and replacing carb seals and float needles is easy enough but another ripoff thanks to the donkeys with power over us all and those who believe in this BS.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:13 pm

Ian I notice that the link to the Mazda response is failing I suspect it got lost in the last change of software/system any chance of getting a new or restored link as the subject keeps coming up time and time again!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:52 am

I'll have to find the original and upload it again.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:04 pm

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”