Manchester low emission zone

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Manchester low emission zone

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Driving home this evening I noted new signage advertising the new low emission zone coming to Manchester. Apparently it's in two phases:

Phase 1 (30 May 2022): Daily charges for non-compliant HGVs, buses, and non-Greater Manchester licensed taxis and private hire vehicles.

Phase 2 (1 June 2023): Daily charges for non-compliant vans, coaches (on application), light goods vehicles (LGVs), minibuses, Greater Manchester-licensed hackney cabs and private hire vehicles.

Phase 1 is nice, "non-Greater Manchester licensed taxis and private hire vehicles" means all the Sefton and Wolverhampton-plated taxis which must be cheaper than local ones will now be off the road.

But the website continues: Non-compliant vehicles with a body type of ‘motorcaravan’ – will be charged to travel in the Clean Air Zone - If your motorcaravan has a Euro 5 or earlier diesel engine (typically registered before 2016) or a Euro 3 or earlier petrol engine (typically registered before 2005) it will automatically qualify for a temporary exemption until 1 June 2023, with a daily charge of £10 from that date.

Brilliant. Looks like Bongy may have to go to the big scrapheap in the sky after all :(

"Hey George - want to buy a low-mileage Bongo?" :twisted:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Manchester low emission zone

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:18 am

Sell the alloys, surrender the log book instant home office, granny annex, grand kids rumpus room. You know it makes sense. 8)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:08 am

It's only a tenner a day. Turning the gas off at home for an hour will save an equivalent amount.....
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:22 pm

I'm waiting for the 1st good lecky conversion to retro fit, thinking of mating one to an old milk float as a stop gap. It may take 3 days to get to stourport but when/ if I get there I won't need hook up.🤭
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 am

Also soon coming to Bath, Birmingham, Bradford & Portsmouth :idea:
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:03 pm

And probably every other UK town and city as they milk consumer pockets with the scam, all these disasters they say await us all all seem to cost us money, glad I'm in an old pit village.
Bomber
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bomber » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:14 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:38 pm

Brilliant. Looks like Bongy may have to go to the big scrapheap in the sky after all :(
Can you not get Bongy reregistered as an MPV as it would have been on import....that way there will be no charge for driving in GM :)
Different day, same shit..... only the level varies
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:29 am

I think they've got it covered all ways up. Unconverted it's an 8-seater (minibus), without rear seats it's a car-derived van, and as a camper it's a motorcaravan. Mine is classed as motorcaravan (body type) and PLG (tax class) on the V5.

Don't forget that by 'Manchester' they mean the whole of Greater Manchester, which includes Manchester, Salford, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford & Wigan. All roads are included, the only exceptions are motorways, so if you're passing through on the M6 or M62 you're ok, but all other roads are included.

I'm interested to see what camera coverage they have, Mrs Muz does a fair bit of local commutes which may well not be covered by the cameras, but you wouldn't want to find out several weeks later with 20 or so penalty notices...
Bomber
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bomber » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:50 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:29 am I think they've got it covered all ways up. Unconverted it's an 8-seater (minibus), without rear seats it's a car-derived van, and as a camper it's a motorcaravan. Mine is classed as motorcaravan (body type) and PLG (tax class) on the V5.

Don't forget that by 'Manchester' they mean the whole of Greater Manchester, which includes Manchester, Salford, Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford & Wigan. All roads are included, the only exceptions are motorways, so if you're passing through on the M6 or M62 you're ok, but all other roads are included.

I'm interested to see what camera coverage they have, Mrs Muz does a fair bit of local commutes which may well not be covered by the cameras, but you wouldn't want to find out several weeks later with 20 or so penalty notices...
mine is an unconverted tin top that is registered as a MPV, i live in Wigan so in the zone.... when checked Ed shows up that there is no charge for hin :)
Different day, same shit..... only the level varies
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Muzorewa wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:29 am I think they've got it covered all ways up. Unconverted it's an 8-seater (minibus), without rear seats it's a car-derived van, and as a camper it's a motorcaravan. Mine is classed as motorcaravan (body type) and PLG (tax class) on the V5.

Oh crikey, I didn't realise it meant that much coverage! May have to plan my trips carefully!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:32 pm

I'm following a future meet with Motorhomer at Littleborough. They have just added to their post that the Manchester zones (all of them) have been put on hold for a while:

"This rally will not be affected by the Manchester clean air zone. The government has suspended ALL charges until a decision can be made about the future of the project"

Just thought you might like to know if planning to travel anywhere near. I can't say whether this is true or not. I haven't researched it but I guess Muz has.

Jilly
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:55 am

Yes the 30th May 2022 date has been put back to an unspecified date, hopefully 12th of Never. Even BJ labelled it as “completely unworkable” at PMQ's last Wednesday.

There is already a map available of where all the cameras will be, so Mrs Muz is busy plotting out her routes to avoid passing any of them :lol:
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:49 pm

mmmmmm 12th of Never - Johnny Mathis! Memories!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca

Return to “Bongo Chat”