Revving in Park

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Revving in Park

Post by sotal » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:03 pm

Just had a slight issue where whenever I put the bongo in P the revs would increase to about 1500-1800rpm.

Put it back in drive and it would drop below 1000 to what I would say was normal.

Is there any normal reason for this?

Related things I can thing of...

I've recently had to replace ATF fluid after a leak.
I've got an electrical fault in the drivers door hinge which is making the windows not work and send to be making a relay click randomly when going over bumps etc. (Relay sounds like it is near or in the drivers fusebox area)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Revving in Park

Post by teenmal » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 am

Sounds like the throttle mechanism is sticking , check the stop to make sure the cable is returning. Does the vehicle move off when drive is selected without using accelerator , what vehicle do you have ?
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:03 pm

Randomly it hasn't done it again since

It is the 2.5 diesel 4x4.

The revs do seem slightly higher at idle than I remembered, but around 900rpm now.

The other day moving it into park made the revs go up, then they would drop back when it was in park. You could repeat it, today nothing happens to the revs when you put it into park.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm

Hmmmm, it did it again this morning but not tonight.

This morning as I got to my destination it seemed to be very eager to go. Putting it into park again raised the revs to around 1800 rpm. Putting it into drive dropped them down again but letting the brake off, it really wanted to go so I presume it was as if the throttle was partially down.

So possibly the throttle position sensor?

Is this something that can be helped with a bit of contact cleaner etc?

We've not used the bongo for a few months and it has had a few electrical gremlins since!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:49 pm

sotal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:39 pm Hmmmm, it did it again this morning but not tonight.

This morning as I got to my destination it seemed to be very eager to go. Putting it into park again raised the revs to around 1800 rpm. Putting it into drive dropped them down again but letting the brake off, it really wanted to go so I presume it was as if the throttle was partially down.

So possibly the throttle position sensor?

Is this something that can be helped with a bit of contact cleaner etc?

We've not used the bongo for a few months and it has had a few electrical gremlins since!

Have you tried what I suggested, it sounds very much like a sticking acc cable or the pump mech.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm

I'll have a proper look at the weekend, unfortunately it is dark when I'm driving it in the morning and dark when I'm driving back in the evening.

It does sound a good shout though, I'll check it out and update.

Thanks

Return to “Techie Stuff”