Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

2L petrol (2000) possible vacuum problem

Post by petebog » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi all

Im back again like the proverbial bad penny :(

so I have a couple of questions this time ...

First the easy one ... the bongo is in need of a new starter battery and a new leisure battery ... any recommendations would be appreciated.

Secondly ... this is a bit of an oddity but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Every now and then, once the engine is at temperature , it has a little hiccup. I dont think its a misfire but the revs drop and then come back to normal. Also if the foot brake is pumped the revs drop and the engine stalls. I have also noticed the idle revs are a little lower than they used to be. All of which I was told suggests a vacuum issue and I have had a look around the engine and traced the vacuum hoses but there are no obvious issues. So before I take the bongo to the garage I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions.

Many thanks in advance

Pete
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: 2L petrol (2000) possible vacuum problem

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:51 pm

The starter battery can be a Bosch S4 335 or 028 type for any vehicle, there are other makes available.
Leisure battery you need to measure the size of your tray and the height under the bonnet that will fit, then look at a site like Tayna batteries https://www.tayna.co.uk/leisure-batteries/ and look for a suitable size with the largest AmpHour capacity normally 90-120 AmpHours that will fit.
Don't be taken in by AGM or GEL batteries unless you intend to install a DC-DC charger rather than a straight forward Split Charge Relay as the alternator doesn't understand the need to reduce the voltage once its full! Also they are twice the price but you will end up with the same life unless charging is correctly controlled.

As to the engine problem there are so many possibilities but pumping the brake seems an odd response.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
petebog
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by petebog » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:07 pm

Hi Geoff

Many thanks for the quick response.

Ill figure out which size of leisure battery i can get to fit and go with it.

As to the vacuum issue I will wait and see if anyone has any suggestions but I guess it will be a garage job :(

Thanks again Geoff

Pete
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:04 pm

If the dash brake light is coming on when you pump the pedal(engine running) that could be a sign that the system is losing vacuum or the pump is not pulling enough vacuum .As you say get it to a garage , this could be a safety issue .

Return to “Techie Stuff”