Lost keys

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Lost keys

Post by sotal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:01 pm

We've not used the bongo as much in the last six months. I recently MOT'd it and have been using it twice a week since. However with Christmas getting in the way it wasn't used for a week or so. I came to use it on Thursday and the keys weren't were I left them 🙄

Annoyingly the keys were left with the other set, so both sets were together.

We've casually hoped they would turn up for the last couple of days and they haven't, so we've turned the house upside down looking for them and they seem to have vanished!

Now I'm still going that we will suddenly find them but it's it possible to get a new manual key cut? Is there a key number anywhere?

Any idea on prices?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Lost keys

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 pm

I believe the number is on the lock barrel which is a pain to get out there has been a post on here before but can't find it at the moment, it might have been pulled as it showed the number!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:27 pm

It might be possible to get number from drivers door lock.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:09 pm

What do you do once you get the number? Is it a Mazda only job?
Propnut
Bongonaut

Post by Propnut » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:33 pm

I've just checked a lock barrel that I have from a tailgate I've stripped to replace my rusty one. There are only three numbers stamped on the lever on the end of the lock, nothing on the barrel itself. Clearly this isn't a drivers door barrel but I'd have thought they'd all be the same just for economy of manufacturing.

My key number is five numbers long. I had some spares cut from the code by http://www.autotechnix.co.uk/ so if you do find your key code hopefully they can help
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 pm

Did you get this sorted?
The key number is stamped on the front locks (have never checked the other locks) & is a 5 digit number between 10100-12283
I have covered the full number as this is my lock (after some scumbag taken a screwdriver to it)
Attachments
Bongo lock trimmed.jpg
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:09 am

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, I sorted it. I got my plan together of how I was going to get the number, but luckily I never got that far as when the kids went back to school after the Christmas holidays, my son found the keys in one of his school shoes 🙄

How they ended up there, I have no idea.

Hours and hours wasted searching the house but never mind!

So all sorted, one of the keys has a similar 5 digit number starting with a 1 stamped on it, so I have recorded this number in case I need it in the future!
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:06 am

Yes the original keys have the number stamped on them too just where the blade meets the plastic bit. Definitely keep a note of this.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT

Return to “Techie Stuff”