Diagnostics.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Diagnostics.

Post by sotal » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 am

Frustrating as it is, Japan never did become part of the OBDII process.

From 1996 all cars built for the US had to have OBDII. Europe followed suit into the early 2000s. But these bongos are imports so even now Japan doesn't have to use OBD2 on cars sold in their own market.

OBD2 is a basic set of data, which is often superceded by the manufacturers own diagnostics system which often shares the same connector.

If you take some pictures of what wires you've got and which pins then I can compare them to mine which I've used in the past.
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:19 pm

Had a quick look today, I think I have just the one socket in the passenger's footwell, with just 10 pins, see here; Image My van is a 1996 so really shouldn't have anything else and as much as I could see there isn't anything else at he driver's side. From the information I have, the pins I have are as follows; D, E, F, G, H, M, N, P, T and V and that should give me; +B, Ground, FAT, FBS, FAC, TAT, TBS, TAC, FAB and another Ground at V. I didn't connect anything to it as I had been working outside all day and by this time the mist was lowering and it was getting colder and less light, joys of living in Scotland :wink: Let me know what you think anyway.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:18 pm

Yes that's the diagnostic socket and the pins sound about right. Use the details in the link http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm and either the added lamp or the glowplug/hold light will flash the code. Later versions used a 4-digit code which is described in one of the Factsheets (rather than the 2-digit codes mentioned in the link) in the members area.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm

So today the mist decided not to lift at all and after a hard frost (beginning to sound like a weather report) during the night, it barely melted all day, so freezing. Not deterred (but not inspired either) I headed out to the bongo. I took the Laptop so I could read direct;y off the Phil Macfadden site. I took some pieces of wire and an electrical test lamp, not sure if that will work as it's not LED but it seemed like a plan. So for engine diagnostics you have to connect Ten and GND, then connect the LED to B+ and Fen. Ten is pin C, which I don't have and Fen is pin A which I also don't have. So sadly I had to return to the warmth of the house but I know you guys will have me out there in the cold again tomorrow. This is the kind of issue I had before, in fact I think I probably never moved on from Engine diagnostics but this would be the main thing I would have wanted to do anyway. I guess if I knew what pin Ten was, i.e. live earth whatever I could substitute it for another source but don't want to start playing around with it maybe blowing fuses and so on. Appreciate any advice you can give :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:21 pm

You missed my post ?
Some of the ECU's don't have all the pins fitted in which case;
FEN & TEN pins are for MANUAL TRANSMISSION
FAT & TAT pins are for the AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
So check if you have both sets or only the FAT/TAT set in which case all the codes appear on those pins it seems.
Pin assignments here http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:37 am

Screenshot_2021-12-20-09-02-04-044_com.android.chrome~2.jpg
These are the pins that I would be connecting. (Not at the same time though) - blue one for ABS codes.

I never managed to get a test LED to work but there is a light in the dash on the bongo that flashes the codes out to you, so I found the extra test LED was redundant on the bongo anyway.

If I'm honest I'm not sure you are going to get anything out of it right now though without a fault on the dash. As far as I know it doesn't store codes like OBD2 does, it instead gives you the reason that you have a warning on the dash. So you don't need to do it until you have an issue.

If you are really keen on testing it then unplug one of the abs sensors, then you will get an error for the abs sensor when you connect a wire between the pins shown in blue.

If I remember correctly if you take the centre console off there is an engine temperature sensor near the handbrake unplugging this throws an engine warning light, so you could try that to test out the engine codes.

Good luck but my personal advice would be to sit in the warmth and forget about it until you have a warning light lit on the dash!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:40 am

Earlier Bongo's need the extra LED/Lamp, later versions used the Hold light to do the flashing not sure if the versions with OBDII still have the flash code in place I suspect probably not.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:40 pm

Didn't get anywhere neat it today anyway, Wife had other ideas. Weather is no better so feeling you are probably right, stay inside, keep warm and wait till I have a light to check out. I mis-understood the post about Fat and Tat, I knew that was what I needed but I thought it was just if I was checking the Auto Transmission for codes. Christmas is coming, who wants to be out there in the weather working on cars anyway, have a good one everyone and I will dig this post up again in the future if needs be :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”