Body work repairs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Body work repairs

Post by PBJ Treglown » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:52 am

Hi, I am getting to grips with an expensive quote for body work,wheel arches etc. I am being quoted for (besides the arches) removal of carpets, rear seat , and insulation. Is it worth doing some of this preparatory work myself and also getting the arches from Bongo Spares as I am being quoted £149 for a pair.
I will also get a quote from elsewhere but would like somewhere near to Weymouth/ South Dorset.
Cheers, Pete
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Body work repairs

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:59 am

Just me, but I would always prefer the person doing the work supplies the parts.

The risk is if there's a problem the garage will say the parts are faulty and the parts supplier will say they weren't fitted properly.

If you supply panels the body shop may find they have to 'adapt' them and charge extra.

Regarding taking out the carpets etc it depends how much you will save/is it worth the work?
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks for the advice...
Well yes, not really the weather for grovelling around the back of the van and wondering where to store the bits I've removed!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:16 am

Tend to agree Bob, either I want to do something myself and accept that there might be a cost to the learning experience or get it done professionally where I have at least a guide quote or fixed cost. Mixing the two can be costly as you say, supply parts and the garage can blame the parts and the supplier blames the install your left in the middle.

As too other people have you tried Discount Trucks, they did my major rust work several years ago now and they are still in business;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tin_worm/

Paul Horsfall is the chap that does the work and its not a massive distance from you. http://www.disctrucks.f9.co.uk/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:05 am

Update on this thread; I have booked our van in at a local ( to Weymouth ) bodywork outfit Bespoke Paint and Body ltd. I shall update again on the result, but they have worked on Bongos before.

Return to “Techie Stuff”