Passed the test

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

oibaf
Bongolier

Passed the test

Post by oibaf » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi folks,

Checking in to say Bertie Bongo has passed the CVRT (which is the equivalent of a camper MOT here). Not a bother on him!

I'm kinda considering getting something like this for Bertie, as a treat, considering he's done so well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JZ1J7KQ/ ... _lig_dp_it

I know people have fitted fancy speakers and nice Pioneer head units to there Bongo's already so I'd say something like this shouldn't be too hard to fit. Just not sure if I'd need a cage around it or not to ensure a snug fit (I've never done one before!).

He's probably due a fluid change all around and I should probably get underneath and make sure I've the underseal topped up as well.

Hope you are all doing well and your collective Bongos are good!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Passed the test

Post by g8dhe » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:03 pm

Be aware that most Android based units continue to draw significant power from the battery even when "Off" you will need to arrange that it is powered via the Ignition switch or a Swap Loom that contains an additional relay to actually switch the device off otherwise you will find that your batteries will be drained within a week :-( Another factor to consider is that many of these units are using older versions of the Android operating system which are no longer supported and more recent programs will not always work with the older versions.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:41 pm

Glad he's passed. :D :D :D
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:55 am

Thanks folks. Good point Geoff, although the unit I was looking at is actually based on Windows CE so it's positively ancient.
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 am

Hi Oibaf, congrats on getting the van through the test.
Just going to say that you would be better of buying an ISO wiring harness adapter and just plugging it in.
I had to wire mine directly and it was a pain as you've to figure out the colour code.
Also, you should get a cage with the stereo but be aware that if you're putting in a double din you are going to have to cut the plastic bridging the two compartments together
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:34 pm

ever after. wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:13 am Hi Oibaf, congrats on getting the van through the test.
Just going to say that you would be better of buying an ISO wiring harness adapter and just plugging it in.
I had to wire mine directly and it was a pain as you've to figure out the colour code.
Also, you should get a cage with the stereo but be aware that if you're putting in a double din you are going to have to cut the plastic bridging the two compartments together
I am still jealous of your steering wheel mounted controls!
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm

The radio should have been where the heating controls are. It's an awful stretch across :lol:

Well if you're going to get a steering wheel remote, make sure it's a Bluetooth one. The IR one only just about works when you're driving on a straight road (line of sight)
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:04 pm

ever after. wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:12 pm The radio should have been where the heating controls are. It's an awful stretch across :lol:

Well if you're going to get a steering wheel remote, make sure it's a Bluetooth one. The IR one only just about works when you're driving on a straight road (line of sight)
It's a serious stretch for a short-armed creature like me! It is possible to switch it I think, if you've the digital heating controls.

Thanks for the tip!

I should probably read the Hold light fault code before doing buying a stereo though!
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 am

It might be possible to switch for a regular size stereo but a double din won't because the vents above it are mounted into the dash :?
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:35 am

Hi.
I fitted an android stereo in my Bongo, and like Geoff mentioned, they do have a tendency to drain the battery over time. I managed this by installing a on/off switch between the live feed and stereo, which allowed me to kill the power to the stereo once the vehicle was parked up.
My stereo had a small battery incorporated which kept the time and radio stations memorised during parked up periods.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:56 pm

Great, thanks lads!

Return to “Bongo Chat”