Bongo no more..

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Roy748
Bongolier

Bongo no more..

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:18 pm

Hello all
Well "Winston" has found a new home... :( owned him for 3 years and throughly enjoyed ownership, he was a beauty, white 2.0lt aero City runner. When we purchased him he had a few minor bumps and bruises but they were easily healed, and he was in top form upon rehoming.
Why did we sell then? 3 reasons mainly, firstly the prices being paid for campervans currently is crazy and we received a very good offer for Winston, 2. I got a little tired of the road ahead being clear but behind full of traffic.. (yes I would always pull over and let the quicker traffic pass) and finally hes addiction to petrol, just could not wein him off it, poor sole.
That aside we had some great holidays pottering around the south of England, and many weekends away. Their is definitely something about owning a unique vehicle such as a bongo, people were often keen to discuss the van and the quirky features within, which were 19yrs old, way ahead of many modern campers.
We are temporarily now holidaying in my home built micro camper which is a citroen Berlingo, it's a tight squeeze but we do manage a double bed along with table and cooking area, but boy do i miss the AFT, lying down to put trousers on etc is just not glamping...
We hope to have a ford transit custom lwb next year as our holiday home but never will I forget Winston and each passing bongo will ignite fond memories of Winston.
For those considering buying a bongo, buy it, look after it and it will look after you giving you some wonderful experiences.
oibaf
Bongolier

Re: Bongo no more..

Post by oibaf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:55 pm

Aww.

Well, it's better to have loved and lost etc etc...

The Berlingo sounds like a cool little thing, easier to get parts for too I imagine!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:34 pm

Yep, sad he's had to be adopted, but great he's gone to friendly new people.

Do fetch your new camper along to some meets. :D
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Hi Bob.
We do intend to pop along, the Northern meets won't seem so challenging in the new van. The NC500 is on our to do list.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:06 am

Haven't been on here for a while. Sad to see your Bongo has been sold, sounded a good one. I'm four odd years in with mine; with Covid and the mass hysteria for camping and the outdoors and associated huge crowds etc have used it much less, wild camped a few times and some cheap no frills sites near me in Sussex for a night or two, but mainly using it for a base when walking for a hot chocolate afterwards. No thoughts of 'upgrading' for me as it does everything I need.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:53 pm

Hello Flanners
The use of your bongo is similar to mine berlingo now in that we use it for days out walking our dog "Google" followed by a hot cuppa upon our return. One thing we enjoyed about our bongo and now citroen is that trips out no longer are a drive there and a direct return home, we are now encouraged to stop on route for a bite to eat and a cuppa.
Hazzobongo
Bongolier

Post by Hazzobongo » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:19 pm

I've done that NC 500 a few times on the bike before it got the name, the year it got the name every hotel on the route doubled their prices, I've not been back since, don't know about the camp sites but no doubt they'll have upped the costs too.

Return to “Bongo Chat”