Occasional bike transportation

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

CronxMatt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Occasional bike transportation

Post by CronxMatt » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:26 pm

Hello fellow Bongonauts,

I have been looking through this forum and interweb for advice on carrying bikes - or more specifically bike racks - on a Bongo , but I've been having little meaningful luck. The only thing I seem to have confirmed so far is Halfords don't having anything that is Bongo compatible at the moment.

I need it to transport up to two bikes (a kid and adults, but I suppose it will be another adult bike someday) for occasional holidays only and I would like to maintain access to the rear door, even if it means taking off the rack/bikes.

I have an AFT with spoiler 1997 reg. Is there a rear rack that I can buy and fit which doesn't need a tow bar or additional lighting/number plate board?

There are a couple of threads on here about the Thule stuff (it looks good - if a bit pricey) but I'm unsure what I need as there seems to be different bits and bobs needed. Is there a product out there which comes complete?

Kind regards

Matt
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Occasional bike transportation

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
CronxMatt
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by CronxMatt » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks Geoff.

I can't seem to find this for sale any more on the Thule site and Amazon shows out of stock which makes me wonder if it's made any more.

I did find a second hand one on ebay, but it seems to be missing some key parts.

I see the post you have linked to goes back to 2011, so I'm wondering if there is anything more recent.

I'm starting to wonder if it will be easier to fit a towbar and find one that is compatible that way.

Kind regards,

Matt
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:49 pm

If you go the tow bar route I can recommend the 'Pendle'. :wink:

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”