Stalling, 2.5 tdi.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Stalling, 2.5 tdi.

Post by PBJ Treglown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi, our bongo has been stalling occasionally ( but regularly ). The conditions are as follows; negotiating stop start traffic; or slowing down for lights etc; rapid slow down in traffic; sitting in queues...especially after a longish drive. It seems as if there is fuel starvation i.e the fuel pump doesn't keep up with the changes in speed etc.I suspect that the fuel pump is the problem. I have been advised that it could be the fuel pump solenoid but would like to know if there is anything else. I have tried Wynns injector cleaner and that has made a difference in as much that the van is running well...until aforesaid congested driving conditions.
Our bongo is a 1999/2000 2.5 tdi .
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Stalling, 2.5 tdi.

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Have you considered the fuel filter and the Banjo filter, below ?
Banjo_filter_detail.jpg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:51 pm

Yes, replaced the fuel filter but not the banjo filter as our model doesn't have one (not all have them ).
The problem most likely occurs after a stop of about half an hour, and then underway in "sticky" traffic.
?Sainsburys diesel?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:46 pm

Dont forget to check the Air filter and the fuel cap valves.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:57 pm

Might be worth releasing the fuel cap and listening to hear if there is a rush of air in when the problem occurs, there is a valve in the cap to let air in which is known on occasions to block up, a simple wash out the parts just pull apart as I recall.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:37 pm

And the filter that allows the fuel tank to breathe, it's clipped on to the inside face of the chassis rail at the rear of the tank, it also has a one way valve inside the pipe, strip off both and wash out.
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am

Thanks for the advice, I have checked the fuel cap which does "breathe" but not easily. I will look at the tank filter as soon as possible, is there a photo or diagram showing where it is.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:17 pm

No, it's black and about the size of a small cotton reel, it has a clip on the end which plugs into a hole in the inside face of the chassis, a few CMS up inside the pipe is a one way valve, remove both and clean out, the filter is usually blocked by road cra$ or underseal.
It may be shown on the fuel tank sender page as the pipe goes up to it as it's one of the ( think 4) that go to the sender area.
Make sure you put the one way valve back the correct way round, it's similar to the valves in a windscreen washer system that stops run back.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Have you checked the hole at the bottom of the tank filler, remove cap and look at the bottom edge, poke it with summat like a welding rod it loops back into the filler tube about 12 inch down under the wheel arch plastic spat
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:32 pm

Thanks again, I shall be investigating all the above asap. :D
bongojoe
Bongolier

Post by bongojoe » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:29 pm

PBJ Treglown wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am Thanks for the advice, I have checked the fuel cap which does "breathe" but not easily. I will look at the tank filter as soon as possible, is there a photo or diagram showing where it is.
Hi, I’ve been having similar problems to you and have been posting in another thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77929

I managed to get my tank breather hose and filter off and cleaned out this evening, yet to see if it makes any difference. Took me ages to find it so I posted a photo of it on the thread above. Also this is the correct drawing for the diesel tank: http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... o=.html#32

The hose with the valve is part no. 93-5106 on the above drawing and the filter is 42-590A.

I’ll update other thread as I keep tinkering with mine but hope this helps you out!
1999 2WD 2.5L Diesel AFT
vlme
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by vlme » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:29 am

Hi all, Canadian Bongo owner here (1997 AFT 4wd 2.5tdi) with what seems to be very similar problems (stalling, loss of power after stalling, hard to fire up). Fuel filter changed, Banjo cleaned, tried running with the fuel tank cap slightly loose (I assume that should have the same effect as unblocking the valve/hose if it were blocked?!) - Unfortunately, nothing seems to be improving the situation.
Here in Canada (Vancouver) specialized Bongo Garages aren't available, so I'm googling myself through things and have a good mechanic (no Bongo knowledge, but works with some other JDMs) who does the work.
I'm at a point where I think I have to bite the bullet and get a new/refurbished diesel injector pump. Before I spend the not small amount of money, any thoughts on whether that's the next step here or are there any further (cheaper...) things I can try?
Also, does anyone have an idea on what my chances are that a new/refurbished diesel injector pump will actually fix the issues? (I know, probably hard to say based on the limited information...)

Thanks in advance, great community here!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:50 pm

Check the small dia vac pipes that run from the vac pump to the cold start vac switches / solenoids and then on to the EGR solenoids.
Any problems with the old vac pipes collapsing when warm /hot or the solenoids not opening to let the vac through could hold the vac when it shouldn't or letting it through when it shouldn't etc.
The EGR is on the vac line and as it comunicates it's position via the ECU it could give all-sorts of weirdness. Worth a quick check.
I once had one that had some wrong vac pipes fitted, when it warmed up it sucked flat, it needs to be thick walked vac pipe.
vlme
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by vlme » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks a lot, much appreciate the advice. Will ask the mechanic to have a look at that (I'm not too much of a handyman when it comes to cars - maybe a bad combination with a Bongo :lol: )
PBJ Treglown
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by PBJ Treglown » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:55 am

Slowly but surely on this issue! Also check the fuel gauge,the connection on the fuel sender unit gets corroded ( the earth ); part of our vans problems were that the gauge was reading too high...i.e less in the tank than expected.
Pete

Return to “Techie Stuff”