Intermittent Starting Fault 2.0l Petrol

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Intermittent Starting Fault 2.0l Petrol

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:42 am

Hey guys,

Getting slightly frustrated with my lovely Bongo. We've had it for 5 years and it's been spot on but last 4 months it's developed an intermittent starting issue. Always when cold and usually when it's damp (but could be coincidental)! It turns over but doesn't fire. When you come back later (maybe 10 mins) usually it will then start.

What I've had done:
New plugs
New Distributor cap and arm
New HT leads

Reading around possible it could be distributor itself...however the garage think it could be the crankshaft/camshaft sensor. Now I can't find mention of a camshaft sensor for 2.0l petrol anywhere?! Is there such a thing? If so does anyone have a part number? They are quoting £180 for the part.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Toby
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Intermittent Starting Fault 2.0l Petrol

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm

Thought there was a sensor built into the distributor itself (below the cap), it certainly has a socket for a connector!
See the diagram, lowest part with the connector jutting out on the left;
Someone had a recent problem with the V6 version and the sensor had been damaged internally and wasn't working at all in there case.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:04 pm

Gotcha. I have seen that part for sale on eBay but it's invariably called an ignition module or similar I think? Looks like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133465883867
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:25 pm

No the ignition module is the transistor and EHT coil that actually generates the high voltage which the distributor switches around the spark plugs whilst generating the pulses to switch the ignition transistor on/off to generate the voltage. Not sure how its handled on the 2l as there appear to be both distributors with and without king leads, possibly changed over time .... ah yes;

With King lead;
"DESCRIPTION:
Fits all models with king lead 1995-2003 with the triangular shaft. This cap is deigned for distributors without an internal coil."

Without King lead;
"DESCRIPTION:
Distributor cap with only 4 lead sockets. This is for all models with the coil built into the distributor only."

MazdaBongo.com do both types.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 pm

Ah ok...so in short, I just need a new distributor! No getting round it I guess.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 pm

Just followed your eBay link, that seems to be the sensor element, the table of matching vehicles seems to say 1995-1998 which I would guess means it matches the type WITH a KING LEAD as it seems the no king lead style is after 2003 ? Can you confirm how many HT leads the distributor has either 4 spark leads + king lead or only 4 spark plug leads ?

Has it been confirmed that there isn't any sparks at the sparkplugs ? If no spark then it would suggest given the other parts you have replaced that either the sensor in the eBay link and/or the Ignition module is the next most likely part!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:30 pm

I think the garage are talking about replacing the entire distributor. If they do that, will that incorporate the sensor and the ignition module? Or would the ignition module need replacing seperately? Just checking as I want to know where I go next if this doesn't work!

I have a non king lead version (4 leads)
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:35 pm

Also what is this part?! :lol: I'm getting confused by all the different bits to this jigsaw

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123719961956
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm

The two eBay links seem to be the same part visually, just that the first photo on the second item has it turned over!

Given its the newer version you might be best going for a complete distributor rather than just the cap.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Debs and David
Tribal Elder

Post by Debs and David » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi

I have a '98 2 litre bongo, which had the same problem that you are describing. The part you are looking at in an ignition module, but I got advice from wheel quick in Wigan and bongo spares in Halifax to just change the whole distributor. Mine was the non king lead type distributor as there are 2 types. which sorted the problem straight away, new distributor was around £180.

Hope this helps

Dave
Debs & David

You Need Degas to Make De Van Gogh
MaxRay
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MaxRay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:48 pm

Amazing Dave, thanks so much! Will go for that. I don't mind spending money on the old girl to get her back in action.

Cheers guys for your help, much appreciated.

Return to “Techie Stuff”