Bongo’s in new ULEZ zone Central London

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Catherine
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Bongo’s in new ULEZ zone Central London

Post by Catherine » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks, I'll look at that.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:53 pm

No it wasn't, it was the Ford probe, if you can find one they have most of the same bits, lekies, fuses, relays,
apapa
Bongonaut

Post by apapa » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Hello,

Any update on this topic or is it not possible to prove bongo meets euro 4’emission standards?

It says on TFL website that I need a Homologation certificate from Mazda stating the bongo conforms.

I have no idea how to go about doing this but will keep trying.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:53 am

apapa wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:23 pm Hello,

Any update on this topic or is it not possible to prove bongo meets euro 4’emission standards?

It says on TFL website that I need a Homologation certificate from Mazda stating the bongo conforms.

I have no idea how to go about doing this but will keep trying.
We are not aware of anyone managing to get their Bongo exempted. Maybe you could be the first?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:06 pm

A point of clarification on this. Have received a few enquiries over the last few days. None of the Bongo engines are listed as Euro compliant. The 2 litre engine (FE-DOHC) can also be found on the Mazda 626 1988 to 1987 (not compliant). The diesel engine (WLT) is also found on the Ford Ranger pick up 1998 to 2006 (not compliant). The V6 petrol is only found on the Mazda 929 2.5 litre US model (1990 to 1994) non compliant.

Non compliant means not tested.

There are a few people who have input their vehicle reg into the TFL database and found that their Bongo is shown as compliant. I'd keep quiet about this if I was you.
apapa
Bongonaut

Post by apapa » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Thanks Ian,

I have spent a few hours today speaking to Mazda, TFL and a few others.

I have found out that there are a number of companies offering CoE testing such as this

https://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/certificat ... ssions.htm

The problem is that you have to pay in advance and there is no guaruntee that a Bongo will meet Euro 4 standards. There is also no guarantee that TfL will accept this certificate. Somebody would have to pay the money and take the chance.

I also had a chat with a very helpful person from Mazda UK. She says the best person to speak to in Mazda UK is somebody called Zoe Marrow. I have sent her an email.

I also had a chat with a motorbike mechanic from a garage in east London ( https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/ ) they have arranged with TfL to directly test, certify and exempt motorbikes. They were unaware of any garage that offered the same service for cars. I wrote to TfL to ask them about this anomaly but have not had a reply.

I think the crux is as follows:

I have been told that Mazda made significant changes to the 2l petrol engine in 2002 to meet stricter Japanese emission rules. These included changes to the intake plenum, ignition, distributor, fuel rail, injectors, exhaust manifold and they fitted a MAP sensor.

If these changes mean a 2l 2004 is below the Euro 4 emissions limits and the CoE from Mazda states this then I am ok. If not I will need to pay.

I will update if I find out more.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:50 pm

apapa wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:28 pm
I have been told that Mazda made significant changes to the 2l petrol engine in 2002 to meet stricter Japanese emission rules. These included changes to the intake plenum, ignition, distributor, fuel rail, injectors, exhaust manifold and they fitted a MAP sensor.

If these changes mean a 2l 2004 is below the Euro 4 emissions limits and the CoE from Mazda states this then I am ok. If not I will need to pay.
Andy, fantastic! You have been busy! How on earth did you find that out? Keep us all posted.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”