Issues since being laid-up

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi Guys

my bongo has been laid-up since 2015, i'm now trying to get it up and running again, however there are a few issues...

Obviously the battery was flat so had to try a jump start. After some considerable cranking I managed to get it to fire up but took a lot of effort as it was juddering a lot with lots of white smoke pluming from the exhaust. :(

It was ticking over very lumpy indeed, I assumed that it was a blocked injector/s so purchased some injector cleaner from halfords (stp) and added to the fuel tank. I restarted, letting it idle for an hour or so which it now does fairly smoothly, with no white smoke whilst idling now.

The issue now is that the maximum it will rev to is around 1800 rpm, at which point the white smoke billows out of the exhaust again. Should I add more cleaner to the fuel tank, or is there any other products that would provide a solution?

There are other issues too;
  • The ABS light is illuminated
    the fuel gauge does not work ( could this be a fuse? which fuse feeds it?)
    the interior light in the cab is constantly illuminated very dimly.
    The aft roof will not raise. ( i get the 'beeping' ) is there a way that I can test if the motor is ceised or failed?
Everything was working just fine before it was laid up.

I welcome all advice that will help get my Bongo back to its former operational state.

Regards
David
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22874
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam
Contact:

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Thats a long layup! What year is the Bongo? Diesel I presume? I think you should start by changing all filters, oil etc. then reassess. If it starts and runs better once engine warm then suspect gloplugs. Worth trying injector cleaner also i guess. ABS stuff is probably corroded/seized - maybe you could google to see if there's anything you could spray on the sensors. Very likely roof motors/switches have oxide on contact surfaces. Stsrt by stripping and cleaning switches and the handbrake sensor. If no luck then it may be motors and thats a lifting gear job so you might need a local specialist. Good luck, keep up posted.
ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi

it is a P reg 1996 Diesel. yes it has been laid up for some considerable time, although i believe that they are parked-up in fields in Japan before being shipped to the UK.

thanks for your suggestions.

I have already added injector cleaner as stated in my original post, i will start with the fuel filter i think.

ABS - where are the sensors?

Glow PLugs - I was under the impression that these only operate during starting is this not correct? it actually starts immediately on the turn of the key.

Roof motor - is there a way of testing this eg. if power is getting to it?
User avatar
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Posts: 22874
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam
Contact:

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:33 pm

ds8819 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:12 pm Hi

it is a P reg 1996 Diesel. yes it has been laid up for some considerable time, although i believe that they are parked-up in fields in Japan before being shipped to the UK.

thanks for your suggestions.

I have already added injector cleaner as stated in my original post, i will start with the fuel filter i think.

ABS - where are the sensors?

Glow PLugs - I was under the impression that these only operate during starting is this not correct? it actually starts immediately on the turn of the key.

Roof motor - is there a way of testing this eg. if power is getting to it?
Some thinking being parked up in Japan for long periods is what crudded up coolant systems. So add drain/flush/refill coolant system to the list as corrosion inhibiting ability of old antifreeze now probably zilch.

Gloplugs stay on after starting, subject to rpm and other control systems. Lumpy start from cold and white smoke are a classic symptom of gloplug issues (or low voltage to them due to tired battery) though there could be other causes. Depressing the throttle generally makes lumpiness worse in my experience with my Bongo probably best not doing that just in case you were.

Dont have ABS on mine, so cant help, sorry.

With motors, they may be getting power but things like position sensors/brushes/armature/whatever may have oxide preventing operation. My AFT went dead like yours and was fixed by fitting 2 expensive new motors. But you have to get at them first, and the roof is locked down. Hence lifting gear need.
ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:11 pm

Well not much further on with these issues 😞

I managed to fault find the roof problem, I traced all the wiring, cleaned switch contacts etc. I get the bleeping from the roof module now but the roof still won't raise.

I put power directly to the motors at the plug at the roof module, but no noise from the motors, so I guess they have seized. A job put on hold to look at the motors.

The priority issue is the e gone issue, won't rev above 1200 rpm. I have now replaced the fuel filter, looked OK, no sludge. I'm now considering my next step and would welcome suggestions moving forward. Fuel pump maybe? How easy is it to change? Where is it? Is it mechanical or electric?

Hopefully someone who has experienced a similar problem might shed light on my predicament from dtheir experience!
TheLongRoad
Bongolier
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:01 pm

Have you drained the diesel tank and put fresh diesel in? After such a long lay up it will have gone off and gummy. This will block up your filters and injection system.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:43 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:01 pm Have you drained the diesel tank and put fresh diesel in? After such a long lay up it will have gone off and gummy. This will block up your filters and injection system.
Yes, I treated with biocide, left for 2 weeks, run the engine, then changed the fuel filter as said in previous post. The filter i removed was super clean, no debris or sludge of any kind in it.

The next thing I'm going to do is remove the banjo screw on the fuel line on the outlet pipe from the filter whete it enters the engine block. I believe there is a filter in there.

After that it will be the fuel pump to look at I guess😕
User avatar
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being
Posts: 7713
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: AKA Vanessa

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 pm

Start by checking the fuel filter is on right and tight.
Remove the fuel pipe at the filter that goes back to the tank, gently blow back to the tank to make sure it's good and clear, they have a little thimble filter on the end of the pickup pipe in the tank, these can get restricted or blocked.
Once you have established you have fuel to the filter remove the supply near the pump to make sure you have fuel at the pump, then remove if fitted the little filter at the inlet inside the pump, remove it and clean don't loose the 2 sealing washers.
Try it now. It may take a lot to prime the system best done cranking it over with the injectors pipes loose to let the air out.
User avatar
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being
Posts: 7713
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: AKA Vanessa

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Don't forget to remove or loosen the fuel cap as Mr Mrs spider may have moved in and be holding hands and blocking the tank breather
TheLongRoad
Bongolier
Posts: 480
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:33 am

I saw you’d treated the fuel years after it was put in tank. But, have a read here.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bellp ... s_amp=true
I’d certainly be starting from fresh diesel before I went near dismantling pumps etc. Just my take on it.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bongotrio
Apprentice Bongonaut
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:23 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by Bongotrio » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 pm

Im no mechanic but years ago my vw caddy work van turbo stopped working! Pumped out white smoke, basically unburnt diesel as turbo wasn't wasn't throwing in extra air! Fixed turbo and all was good. Another van i had (Citroën dispatch) a cylinder went and that would be lumpy and wouldn't rev.
ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:26 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 pm Start by checking the fuel filter is on right and tight.
Remove the fuel pipe at the filter that goes back to the tank, gently blow back to the tank to make sure it's good and clear, they have a little thimble filter on the end of the pickup pipe in the tank, these can get restricted or blocked.
Once you have established you have fuel to the filter remove the supply near the pump to make sure you have fuel at the pump, then remove if fitted the little filter at the inlet inside the pump, remove it and clean don't loose the 2 sealing washers.
Try it now. It may take a lot to prime the system best done cranking it over with the injectors pipes loose to let the air out.
Where is the filter on the inlet side of the pump? Are you referring to the banjo screw? I believe there is a filter in there?
ds8819
Bongonaut
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by ds8819 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Bongotrio wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:29 pm Im no mechanic but years ago my vw caddy work van turbo stopped working! Pumped out white smoke, basically unburnt diesel as turbo wasn't wasn't throwing in extra air! Fixed turbo and all was good. Another van i had (Citroën dispatch) a cylinder went and that would be lumpy and wouldn't rev.
I considered that it might be the turbo, but there is no smoke from the exhaust. Is there a way I can determine if the turbo is working without dismantling it?
User avatar
g8dhe
Supreme Being
Posts: 10217
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:06 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex.
Contact:

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by g8dhe » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:47 pm

The Banjo filter is as below;
Banjo_filter_detail.jpg
Attachments
banjo_filter_location.png
banjo_filter_location.png (199.28 KiB) Viewed 3217 times
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
User avatar
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being
Posts: 7713
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: AKA Vanessa

Re: Issues since being laid-up

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:09 pm

There is a filter inside the fuel tank, it's on the end of the pickup pipe only accessable if you take the top of the fuel tank.
Instead just blow back to the tank from the fuel filter to clear it.
Post Reply

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”