PMS3 power management system

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

PMS3 power management system

Post by Jimmy spur » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 pm

HI all,

I have a converted bongo that has the PMS3 power management system in it. Along with a 12v fridge, water pump, lights and a couple of plug sockets. Now the internal spot lights seem to be working fine in car mode but I am not getting any of the other things to power. When I switch to van mode I get nothing lighting up on the panel at all. Now I assume the leisure battery is bust (volt metre shows output at around 5volts!).but surely it would register on the unit as the battery being connected?. Obviously I am going to get a new leasure battery but do you think the fridge might be hardwired to run off the leisure battery only? Is this a thing? . Its not easy to check all the wiring and I am not really great at stuff like that. I can see therw is cables running from the main battery to the leisure also which is split charging yes?. Any advice would be greatly received as we are off camping next week
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: PMS3 power management system

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:33 pm

That is often the way the fridges are wired, however they will have either their own internal switch on the thermostat or another external switch elsewhere.
At 5 volts the PMS3 is unlikely to register that a battery is connected at all.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jimmy spur » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks Geoff. The fridge turns on via the thermosat. Nothing. I will flip the leisure battery and hopefully I will be good to go... Touchwood
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Jimmy spur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:00 pm Thanks Geoff. The fridge turns on via the thermosat. Nothing. I will flip the leisure battery and hopefully I will be good to go... Touchwood

Might sound silly but is the leisure battery getting a charge.?
Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jimmy spur » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 pm

No I don't think so. Volt reading has stayed the same for two weeks
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Jimmy spur wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 pm No I don't think so. Volt reading has stayed the same for two weeks

I think it would be worthwhile checking why the battery is not receiving a charge ( blown fuse etc) before you buy a new battery.

Take care.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:50 pm

If its been at 5 volts for any length of time then the battery is going to be seriously damaged :-(
Check the TWO charging fuses that link each battery to the Split Charge Relay, its quite likely that one has blown, in which case replace BOTH as the second one would have been melting as well, it will then break shortly after the first is replaced!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jimmy spur » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Great will check the fuses tomorrow and get a new battery

Return to “Techie Stuff”