Respray or vinyl wrap?

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

jamesharrogate
Apprentice Bongonaut

Respray or vinyl wrap?

Post by jamesharrogate » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Just taken delivery of my first Bongo today. Its in really good condition but I'm thinking of pimping it up a bit by getting it recoloured.

The price of a respray or vinyl wrap appears to be very similar from looking around on the internet so I was wondering if anyone has had a vinyl wrap done and if they would recommend it as an alternative to a normal respray.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Respray or vinyl wrap?

Post by TheLongRoad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:40 pm

My old employer had several cars vynal wrapped and although it looked good to start it was rubbish after 12 month of motorway driving. Personally I'd have all rust treated and a good quality 2 pack paint job done.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:53 pm

A couple of people on FB have had there vans wrapped, but won't do it again, looses it shine and repairs can be a more like the cost of a re-spray!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Might just be me, but I wouldn't buy a vehicle that's got vinyl wrap, Being suspicious I'd think - what little delights are hidden under that? :roll:
jamesharrogate
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jamesharrogate » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Not a lot of love for the vinyl wrap, cheers for the advice.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 am

Aye, but it's your Bongo - make it what you want. Whatever, you'll enjoy having a Bongo. Welcome by the way :mrgreen:
jamesharrogate
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jamesharrogate » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks. Only had my Bongo since Saturday but really looking forward to getting out in it. Heading up to Glencoe at the end of the month for it's first trip - looking at the weather I don't think I'll be needing to run the fridge!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Respray for a lot of reasons, mainly during prepwork you'll have an opportunity to see and address all the rust!
Tymmuffphii
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Tymmuffphii » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:55 am

Interesting post with a few good but different responses, I wrapped my bongo 10 years ago by hand ( Myself ) and to this day it still looks good, granted in some places it has lifted and started to peel back from years of various sun projected heat, but as mb next Mot is in March 24 iv decided to get my Bongo ( Van-Diesel ) re-Wapped shortly after that Here in Plymouth we have a few great *Wrappers* that have won international awards for their profession.
I believe the standard relays on the people that apply it. If it is applied correctly, and reading the lines of the wrinkles and correct pressure is applied when pulling the Vinyl to get that "GLASS" Finish! I believe all cars should be wrapped rather than painted......

Also as a small bonus. The "WRAP" can also contain a rusted wheel arch, and u will be notified of this rust spot by a rust bubble. It literally sticks out so u can see it then address it!

Which reminds me. I have 2 full mercadies Sprinter wheel arches here. ( Which are compatible with the Mazda Bongo ) I just need someone to cut them down then Rivit / Weld them for me, I live in Plymouth and I'm more than willing to pay for their help........

Stay safe guys and have an amazing weekend

#Vanlife =D> =D> :idea:
:shock: Muff Tha Bongo Boi :lol:
Atantic Highway
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Atantic Highway » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:22 pm

What is the approximate cost of a wrap please? I think I may do my wheel arches then wrap the car
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:10 pm

Hi, and welcome aboard.

You would need to speak to companies which do this work, cost will depend on what you require and where you are.

Not too helpful, I know, but best I can do. 8)

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”