French Speed Limit

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Bob
Supreme Being

French Speed Limit

Post by Bob » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 am

Be aware that the speed limit on rural roads in France is reducing from 90 kph to 80 kph.

Let's be careful out there. 8)
knpenny
Bongolier

Re: French Speed Limit

Post by knpenny » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm

It just came into effect on the 2nd of july 2018. Also be aware that there is extra cameras being put on signs like the triangle shaped ones and direction signs, you will not see these until you get flashed. But for 2 months if the gendamdemarie stop you for going 90km in an 80km zone, they can not fine you as this is an adaptation period but the cameras will fine you and give you points. :wink:
Bongology, the study of all things bong. The bongologist. :shock:
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

knpenny wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm It just came into effect on the 2nd of july 2018. Also be aware that there is extra cameras being put on signs like the triangle shaped ones and direction signs, you will not see these until you get flashed. But for 2 months if the gendamdemarie stop you for going 90km in an 80km zone, they can not fine you as this is an adaptation period but the cameras will fine you and give you points. :wink:
I got flashed doing 83kmh in a 90kmh zone near Caen on the 29 June - I wondered if some of the cameras had already been reconfigured. I wasn't too worried about it, as it was a backward facing camera and I was on a motorbike. There's been a big increase in the number of cameras on the roads, and a lot of them pretty sneaky.
Two tonne tin drum
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 am

I did 1200miles on my motorbike down to the Loire Valley and back a couple of weeks ago, I was not aware of the speed limit change until all the signs and even then it took a while to compute, I think 80km speed limit is way too low for some of the more larger trunk roads in France. The Autoroute's were very busy, in fact the busiest I have ever seen, circa 50mph or take the Autoroute at 80mph......tolls....cashcow? Still the fatal and serious accident statistics for France make grim reading. On a bike 80kmph is a complete ball ache for a fully laden Bongo it is nigh on perferct :D

The French seem to have copied the British Police Roads Policing model i.e have none....... and replace it with questionable lower speed limits and sneaky grey and yellow GATSO, SPECS and the often completely illogical 'Smart' motorways speed restrictions.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Going Abroad”