Travel insurance - anyone got for travelling round the UK?

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Travel insurance - anyone got for travelling round the UK?

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am

Hi folks!

I have great praise for travel insurance when I'm out of the country (mostly due to the other half breaking her ankle while travelling the world a few years back and them sorting everything out for us), so I decided to look into an annual insurance for travelling around the UK so I was covered for my random weekends here and there, or weeks/fortnights away. I've not had a really good search yet but I could only really find Caravan travel insurance. I got in touch with a company and they've said that being in a campervan I might not be as covered as I'd hoped which is a bit annoying, (sometimes things in locked vehicles are not covered after 9pm so might not be able to claim for that... might not be able to claim back for cancellation of a campsite etc) and then I wondered what everyone else does... Do any of you guys get yearly travel insurance for just dotting around in the UK? And if so, who do you use?
#sayhellotomylittlefriendee
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Travel insurance - anyone got for travelling round the UK?

Post by Bob » Wed May 30, 2018 12:55 pm

Get your point, but the big savior here is the NHS for medical emergencies.

Obviously we have Bongy and caravan insured and our breakdown cover will sort things if the only driver is incapacitated. That's me.

I really wouldn't worry about a campsite cancelling at short notice, never happened to me in over 50 years camping, but if it dit I'd just find another or wild camp for a night. A payout wouldn't really help.

No real problem with repatriation if you're in GB either, it's a small country.

Just my thoughts. :wink:
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed May 30, 2018 1:20 pm

I suppose I just thought I better get due to getting for campervanning abroad, but you do make some very valid points there Bob! My awning is covered by the van insurance, and some of my other stuff is covered up to a point with my house insurance even if I'm away from home. After speaking to the insurer and realising things may not be as covered as I thought they were it really made me doubt needing it which is why I thought I'd see if anyone else has.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 30, 2018 2:21 pm

The Camping & Caravan Club include insurance for possessions etc. and I had no problem in specifying a higher limit to ensure that cameras/laptops/tablets/phones etc were all covered and didn't need to specify individual items either.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
tootsmcfruits
Bongonaut

Post by tootsmcfruits » Wed May 30, 2018 3:25 pm

I wasn't part of the C&CC when I was getting insurance so it's Adrian Flux I'm through - they have said the Awning is covered (although needless to say I can't find that information in my policy booklet) so the C&CC definitely seems to be more comprehensive - maybe I just need to be more careful with the van insurance that I pick in future rather than worrying about Travel insurance...

Return to “Insurance”